Mothers Day Planters

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Mothers Day Planters

Post by reible »

As general information, the use of power tools means that we use sizes like 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2 to either drill or route the slots. Yes you can go bigger but the point is that we go where the tools take us most of the time. SOP is to do the slot first then the part to fit the slot using the slot as a test of the fit. So if you have say 3/4" nominal material the mortise would be done with a 1/4" chisel or bit or drill and the mating part would be cut to fit that. The fluctuation of the actual material determines how much material is removed to get the fit.

The mortise depth should be roughly three times the thickness of the tenon.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

reible wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:22 am As general information, the use of power tools means that we use sizes like 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2 to either drill or route the slots. Yes you can go bigger but the point is that we go where the tools take us most of the time. SOP is to do the slot first then the part to fit the slot using the slot as a test of the fit. So if you have say 3/4" nominal material the mortise would be done with a 1/4" chisel or bit or drill and the mating part would be cut to fit that. The fluctuation of the actual material determines how much material is removed to get the fit.

The mortise depth should be roughly three times the thickness of the tenon.

Ed
================

Good read ! doesnt hurt to have the same amount of meat on each side of the tenon
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Alright - attempt #2 . I dug around and found a 1/4 router bit that needed sharpening but should provide thre 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 dimensions Ed mentioned above.

I did the tenons this morning - with a 3/4 depth. 1/4 spacing all around.
m+t v2.jpg
m+t v2.jpg (37.35 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
m+t v22.jpg
m+t v22.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Is this the standard dimension ...now that i made those huge tenons the first time-these look kind of dinky :)

b
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Alright-I'm getting a bit better at this now..burning thru the poplar though !
I think they are good enough to gift some now.
planter.jpg
planter.jpg (100.16 KiB) Viewed 1186 times

Also - a couple encounters on my daily constitutional...
garter.jpg
garter.jpg (352.07 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
copperhead.jpg
copperhead.jpg (262.36 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
b