Today in the shop: A little support here

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop: A little support here

Post by reible »

For any of you who might have been following my wood working adventures this is more of them. I have an extension table for my shopsmith that allows me to mount a router table or osculation sander. The plate I got for the router table and or sander allows me more functionality but I'm not done yet.

The Rockler insert takes compact routers and this pretty much means you have to use 1/4" shank bits. They also make a mid-size insert for you guessed it mid-sized routers. This would bring with it added weight, possibly a negative and the added benefit of using 1/2" shank bits.

Before I went too far in this direction I wanted to play with a few things. First, the incra fence that can be added to the table for routing. I pretty much knew it was going to work but since if there are not pictures then it didn't happen and it did happen. I needed a slot and used tape to make the start and stop points then dropped the work piece over the bit and did two passes, one at half depth and then full depth plus a little.
rtinu.jpg
rtinu.jpg (222.99 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
You will get to see what this if for soon.

We have to back up just a little and look at the extension table that I made.
rtinu5.jpg
rtinu5.jpg (229.34 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
As you can see the table is not symmetric, There is a short and long side, as pictured, to the left is the shot side and to the right the long side. I normally have it the other way but it can go either way. The short side is slightly more stable then the long side but not by much, you know longer lever arm sort of thing.

While the router/sander can mount to either side and the extension table mount either way it give you a lot of options. For today I wanted to see how stable it would be when mounted to the shorter side. Here is a picture of how this works, a little cluttered but I hope you can get the idea.
rtinu2.jpg
rtinu2.jpg (241.13 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
I decide to make a really simple support to see how much that might add to the whole experience. A piece of 2 x 4 goes between the tubes and then another on top which extends across both tubes. Then the part that I cut earlier becomes the adjustable support. Two threaded insert in the 2 x 4's allow two stud knobs to hold and adjust the part.
rtinu3.jpg
rtinu3.jpg (179.02 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
For adding support to the router/sander table it would look like this:
rtinu4.jpg
rtinu4.jpg (165.04 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
With the extension table turned around to the way I normally use it the support still works and has a low to high range more or less as seen in the next two pictures. Having the table as low as it will go works for most locations along the tubes except where the gas tube of the lift attaches where there is interference.
rtinu7.jpg
rtinu7.jpg (168.79 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
rtinu6.jpg
rtinu6.jpg (229.79 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
Results of today's experiments makes me think that a mid-side router would work fine in this set up. The mid-size insert also has a set of extra cost inserts for the table insert so either a guide bushing can be used or the hole size adjusted depending on router bit size. I will start with the mid-size router insert and then go from there.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop: A little support here

Post by Hobbyman2 »

nice, just curious if you have a extra carriage or two around and if so if you could add a table mounting bracket to the bottom of the excellently crafted table you have there . it would be height adjustable and maybe add more versatility for tilting and making angle cuts .
Last edited by Hobbyman2 on Tue May 18, 2021 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yes that could be done but for now I have several other additions I'm planning and none of them need anything but the extension table function. Not sure what tilting would do for me at this point. Did you have something in mind?

I'm finding this extension table to be very versatile and useful. It is really a third arm for the shopsmith in my shop.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The adventure using the midsize router plate begins.

Took a few pictures along the way that I will share here.

I did decide to go with the Hitachi router. Here you can see where I have removed the existing sub base, shown upper right corner. The Rockler part comes apart with 8 screws and this is how you access the part that mounts on the router, round blue part on the left.
rsubb.jpg
rsubb.jpg (210.99 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
It mounts to the router base with three screws, the black color screws in this picture:
rsubb2.jpg
rsubb2.jpg (185.86 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
The set of 8 screws allow you to position handles and latches where you want them to the extent those fixed positions are close enough. Here is where I think I will attach things:
rsubb3.jpg
rsubb3.jpg (154.17 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
The next location clockwise would be here and so on:
rsubb4.jpg
rsubb4.jpg (141.1 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Next I took the original sub base over to the router table...... since the cut-out was just my idea of what might work I wasn't surprised that there is going to be a minor problem. The router base is going to hit the table on both sides but only a minor amount. Here is a picture of the interference:
rsubb5.jpg
rsubb5.jpg (136.58 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Will have to remove that small amount from the table to get things to fit. Not a big deal but kept me from going any farther on the project for today.

So stay tuned for what is ahead, and to see if anything else pops up.

Ed
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

reible wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:24 am Yes that could be done but for now I have several other additions I'm planning and none of them need anything but the extension table function. Not sure what tilting would do for me at this point. Did you have something in mind?

I'm finding this extension table to be very versatile and useful. It is really a third arm for the shopsmith in my shop.

Ed
============

All ways looking for a way to increase the versatility of the router and the router bits ,the extra carriage and mounting brackets may reduce chatter and add some support , after considering the question It came to me that without mounting the router to the tubes tilting the table would not be much of a benefit .
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I am surprised SS has not came up with a carriage that would accept routers and a table system ?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SS decided to provide that by way of the SPT mount or Main table front/rear tubes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Why not use the main table for the additional support?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:34 pm SS decided to provide that by way of the SPT mount or Main table front/rear tubes.
SS also provided an adaptation of their Over Arm Router (or Pin Router) that mounts on the Mark series as a vertical or horizontal router. Nick demo'd this in several of the sawdust sessions.

- David
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks DLB
Note taken

A over head router is limited in its use ,mainly height , just like a panta router has its limits ,the length and dimension of its travel , I dont own one but I can think of at least three operations that they can not do with a fixed bed and or buying a slew of router bits, fixed router tables also have their limits , a tilting router bed cutting from the under side would do what others cant do ,would it have limits ?? sure but what doesn't ? and you could get away with fewer bits , for instance you could chose a angle and use any straight bit , try to find a 22deg or non standard deg router bit ? not to mention its over 1/2 way built "{ with vertical height adjustments}" , the use of one of the micro adjustment devices for the height of the table could make such a thing a win win in my hobby shop .