Padding a surface??

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Padding a surface??

Post by reible »

bainin wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:09 pm Sorry Ed- that was a typo ! More like 4mm.

Here is the stuff I cut up and use on my bar clamps to avoid denting my projects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT ... UTF8&psc=1

b
This should work fine, I hope anyway. Cost is not that much and the left overs might be useful on other projects. I'll order some soon and then figure out how I'm going to cut it???? Thanks for the info!

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Good luck !

I was able to score it with an exacto and work my way thru in 4 or 5 passes.

b
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I pi picked up a leather belt at Goodwill for $1. I've used pieces of it for several things.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Happened to be out by a Goodwill so stopped in and found a 99cent belt that was wide enough.
belt1.jpg
belt1.jpg (213.24 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
belt2.jpg
belt2.jpg (146.49 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
So move this project to the finished column.

Ed
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

What type of glue did you use ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just double sided tape. If it comes off too much I might go with a glue but I have high hopes for the tape. It is used in compression only so.....

Ed
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Leather and wood are materials that can work well together much like iron or other metals and wood.
In case anybody has any interest here is a page with information on various thickness measuring systems. In my work for many years I used the "iron" system just because it was common back in those days.
https://www.libertyleathergoods.com/lea ... ss-weight/
If you need leather Goodwill is your friend as Ed said. So are yard / garage sales. I keep an eye out for belts, high shaft boots and purses for leather. You can also make friends with your local shoe repairman. I used to have craft people drop in to ask for scraps. Much like the big box I keep by my table saw for cut-offs I kept a box for leather scraps and another for rubber scraps.
I try to get in a little target shooting with a few muzzle loaders (nothing fancy) and in black powder shooting one common item is what is often called a "possibles bag" (you can google that). I have a few and recently I was at a yard sale where I picked up an appropriate looking ladies leather purse that I bought for that use. All I need to do is add to its rustic look, probably by adding a strip of leather fringe to the bottom of it.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

robinson46176 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:59 pm Leather and wood are materials that can work well together much like iron or other metals and wood.
In case anybody has any interest here is a page with information on various thickness measuring systems. In my work for many years I used the "iron" system just because it was common back in those days.
https://www.libertyleathergoods.com/lea ... ss-weight/
If you need leather Goodwill is your friend as Ed said. So are yard / garage sales. I keep an eye out for belts, high shaft boots and purses for leather. You can also make friends with your local shoe repairman. I used to have craft people drop in to ask for scraps. Much like the big box I keep by my table saw for cut-offs I kept a box for leather scraps and another for rubber scraps.
I try to get in a little target shooting with a few muzzle loaders (nothing fancy) and in black powder shooting one common item is what is often called a "possibles bag" (you can google that). I have a few and recently I was at a yard sale where I picked up an appropriate looking ladies leather purse that I bought for that use. All I need to do is add to its rustic look, probably by adding a strip of leather fringe to the bottom of it.

When I read “leather”, “fringes”, and “muzzle loader”, I was sure that I could Google up a picture of Daniel Boone (Fess Parker, actually) with a “possibles” bag. Alas, no such luck. Now I’m wondering if the show producers believed it would look like a (sissy) purse to us 60’s kids.

Which reminds me. I still need to finish up that Hawkins 50 caliber rifle kit that I started about 40 years ago. The hard part is all done. Really! :rolleyes:
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Do a search on Amazon for #2 vegetable tan cowhide leather, you get a hit for a leather strip scroll down and you will see all kinds of leather for sell.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have found a few really good deals on leather scraps and pieces at the local traders day or flea markets .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)