Padding a surface??

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Padding a surface??

Post by reible »

I have a disk that is about 1-1/2" in diameter and mounts in a drill chuck or collet system. I want to use it to assembly things without damage. Steel is not know for its soft touch.
padding.jpg
padding.jpg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
It would need to be quite firm but not prone to leave impressions in softer surfaces. I've tried some things but not liking the results all that much. One thing that has come to mind to try but I don't have any laying around is some leather, something thicker I think??? Anyone ever done this sort of thing and am I correct in thinking the solution might be leather? Not sure where go for some small scrap size pieces, the 1-1/2 is wider then my old belt but that might be something that a thrift store might have or a craft shop???

Thoughts?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Padding a surface??

Post by reible »

Some things that have not worked well are some grippe rubber bits, thin inter-tube rubber, leg protectors for furniture, thick sock fabric, wood, cut up innersole material, shelf liner, foam board, thick tape, and maybe a few things I've forgotten.

Trying to find some vibration pads I have made out of a thicker pliable rubbery plastic but don't know what I did with it..... I also have an old mouse pad, as in old computer stuff that is a gel sort of material but maybe I gave that away???

Just running out of ideas.

Ed
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

double stick tape and some 14mm leather!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

You might have some old baseball, softball, or work gloves around that would yield a bit of leather you could cut this from. An auto upholstery shop might have some scraps. Around here saddle shops and other leather works are relatively common, and this seems scrap sized. There are some thicker leather work gloves, maybe elk(?), that might be more suitable. I use some rubber shelf liner from HD for tool drawer liners, but I'm thinking it is too similar to things that did not work: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Con-Tact-Ul ... /100388913

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

bainin wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:47 pm double stick tape and some 14mm leather!
14mm? Rhino hide?

Do like the double stick tape idea but the 14mm might be excessive.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

DLB wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:01 am You might have some old baseball, softball, or work gloves around that would yield a bit of leather you could cut this from. An auto upholstery shop might have some scraps. Around here saddle shops and other leather works are relatively common, and this seems scrap sized. There are some thicker leather work gloves, maybe elk(?), that might be more suitable. I use some rubber shelf liner from HD for tool drawer liners, but I'm thinking it is too similar to things that did not work: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Con-Tact-Ul ... /100388913

- David
Yes the rubber shelf liner is pretty much what I tried, both the smooth and the textured.

I've never done any work with leather. I could cut a section out of my Cordoba seats........... no bad idea.

We do have some craft stores that might sell leather since I know people do leather craft, might have to give that a look see. Not really sure what I'm looking for but if it cheap enough I could try a couple of things.

Then things that have come to mind are shoes and wallets...... I'll add that to your ideas when I look around tomorrow.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

What about crubber (cork/nitrile rubber)? This is the stuff that is used as a vise liner. It shouldn't mar the surface and has some grip (non-slip).

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... em=03G1010
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Sorry Ed- that was a typo ! More like 4mm.

Here is the stuff I cut up and use on my bar clamps to avoid denting my projects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT ... UTF8&psc=1

b
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Neighborhood kid with a 3d printer and have them make you a cap ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)