Six Floating Tables on a 520

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Six Floating Tables on a 520

Post by rlkeeney »

Is there any way to use six floating tables?
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Six Floating Tables on a 520

Post by jsburger »

If I had two more they could be added between the main table and the fixed extension tables on either side. You would need to use 5' tubes on the main table instead of the short ones.
Attachments
DSCF0453 (640x480).jpg
DSCF0453 (640x480).jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

jsburger wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:08 pm If I had two more they could be added between the main table and the fixed extension tables on either side. You would need to use 5' tubes on the main table instead of the short ones.
That might be handy for some projects.

Can I mount one on a Mark V base and use it as another extension table?
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rlkeeney wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:01 pm
jsburger wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:08 pm If I had two more they could be added between the main table and the fixed extension tables on either side. You would need to use 5' tubes on the main table instead of the short ones.

I think the tables are the same. However, the holes in the table for the bolts for the mounting tubes are not taped. At least I think they are not taped. It has been a long time since I looked. Someone else will confirm that please. That should be easy enough to do.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

rlkeeney wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:01 pm

Yes. The holes in them are a bit oversized for threading but they work and seem to taper in some. I think the Mothership must use some other type of stud that does not thread in, or at least I could not screw one out. But several of us have used threaded studs. I saw a thread recently where jpg used stove bolts in lieu of studs. You'll want to make sure your bolts or studs are full diameter, my first attempt at this with cut up threaded rod did not work because the outside diameter was well under nominal, something to do with low-cost manufacturing, that does not play well with the oversized holes. I ended up cutting the heads off of regular bolts but after seeing the stove bolt approach I should have just left the heads on. Way easier to thread them in. ;)

- David
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It would be very easy on my Shopsmith if I had the extra tables. I have a pair of 6 foot tubes to hang them on.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Robert,

John's set up is a great example of a different table arrangement. Do keep in mind he is using 2 sets of the Infeed/Outfeed Extension Table Brackets P/N 555997 plus extra table parts. On page B-46 (the last page of the Assembly & Alignment section) of the Mark V 520 Manual, if you have the same version as mine, is a page of optional setups. With longer connector tubes like the 5' ones available (P/N 521942) and extra Floating Tables you can expand the table system in many different ways. With 5' connector tubes John's setup for the infeed and outfeed tables could be spread wider apart. The only real limiting factor to table arrangements is the Main Table is the only one that can have 4 connector tubes used in it, 2 in the front rail and 2 in the back rail.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Here is another example. This does not use the Infeed/Outfeed Extension Table Brackets P/N 555997 but you need two sets of telescoping legs.
Attachments
DSCF0456 (640x480).jpg
DSCF0456 (640x480).jpg (90.74 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John's example above is exactly what I was referring to when I said
With 5' connector tubes John's setup for the infeed and outfeed tables could be spread wider apart.
There are so many options for setting up the tables.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.