New rain barrel platform design

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

New rain barrel platform design

Post by reible »

We added another rain barrel and now I need to make a stand for it. The wood will cost almost as much as the barrel and when you add in the fasteners I think it will be a wash. Been to wet to work outside but it sounds like it will be nice for the next week end and I'll put it together then. Would like to get some of the cutting down before that but we will see.

Has to hold the 540 pounds of water so you can't go too light.
ScreenHunter 199.jpg
ScreenHunter 199.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: New rain barrel platform design

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

It is a nice looking stand. I was wondering what the platform that holds the barrel is made out of. The reason is the only support I see for it is the cross beam between the two opposite legs and the extra leg width on the other 4 legs that only support the very edge of the platform.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It looks like a good design.
I always wanted to have a rain barrel or two, but around here, about 1 year in 10, it rains like the rain forest and we can't handle any more water so the rain barrel would be just something to have to drain out to get rid of the water.
Worse yet, the other 9 of 10 years it is so dry that there would be no water in the barrel because it doesn't rain at all.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gee I did not realize ND was a desert area!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The base will be ground treated 2 x 4's that are double biscuit-ed with Kreg HD screws and maybe glue if I think it will stick to the treated wood. It will be as close to a single piece as I can make it.
ScreenHunter 200.jpg
ScreenHunter 200.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
The uprights are treated 2 x 3's as are the cross pieces. I normally set the platform on some 16 x 16 x 2 blocks so the leg ends are not going to sink into the ground and have the whole thing tip. The taller uprights are there to contain the barrel during the off season when it sets upside down and the wind might want to blow it somewhere....... tornadoes excluded.

My vegetable gardening is getting less and less each year but my wife likes to have a lot of container plants and they require a regular supply of water. It had been really dry here this year until the last week plus when we are catching up on the 10" deficit for the year. Been raining so much the ground is not soaking it up much so now we are seeing flooding.... Well better weather this weekend.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

It looks like a well thought out project. By the way if it is getting too wet there how bout sending some of that rain back this way. We have had one of the driest years on record so far and on Sunday Portland was one of the hottest cities in the country at 115 degrees. A new record. :eek:

JPG, I didn't think I lived in a desert area either. :D
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:45 pm Ed,

It looks like a well thought out project. By the way if it is getting too wet there how bout sending some of that rain back this way. We have had one of the driest years on record so far and on Sunday Portland was one of the hottest cities in the country at 115 degrees. A new record. :eek:

JPG, I didn't think I lived in a desert area either. :D
Russ,

WHAT is going on out there? I know the weather has been off around the country the last year or so, but you guys should NOT be having Phoenix like temperatures out there!!! Hope you guys don't ever have that again.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Their temps are more like Palm Springs!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:33 pm Their temps are more like Palm Springs!
Well, if Portland can hit 115 degrees now, then I am worried what is next here where I live. Could 125 become common here? Not sure where to move to because it wasn't just Oregon and Washington that hit those high temps, but parts of Canada as well. Might be time to setup shop on the moon...
:eek:
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sorry Monday was that record temperature here but Sunday was only a couple degrees lower and a new high also. My brain may still be fried. After hitting that record temperature on Monday it dropped 40 degrees by midnight as the cooler marine air moved in from the coast. Mid 90's yesterday and only supposed to get to the upper 80's today.

It seems a lot of western US was pretty hot over the weekend. We flew through Phoenix on Saturday on our way hone from Las Vegas both of which were pretty hot too. In hind sight we should have stayed a couple more days in Vegas since it was cooler than home.

Sorry Ed we have gone off topic again.
Russ

Mark V 520