Novice or Pro

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cham-ed
Gold Member

Re: Novice or Pro

Post by cham-ed »

I've used the one From Grizzly an it works well with my 10ER with a 3/4 HP motor.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Majones1 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:26 pm Although I have done some basic work with wood since I was young, using power hand tools, I know very well that I am a novice to woodworking and the associated shop powertools. I have worked in very dangerous environments and equipment for much of my working life, and I think this serves me very well with my this new endeavor. This makes me very cautious, which translates to moving more slowly as I think through everything, learning what all I need to be conscious of (like was said, where my hands are and where the dangers are). I appreciate being reminded of, or learning, best safety practices. So thank you for being my teachers.

That said, I have to tell in myself. Last week, I was doing some preventive maintenance work on the drive train of my 10ER - pulled the quill and drive shaft, disassembled the variable speed changer, oiled and waxed things, and adjusted belts. I went to plug the SS in, and I was shocked to find it was already connected to power. I NEVER do that. Whenever I finish with using my SS for the morning or afternoon, I always pull the power before I leave. Well, this one time I did not, and it could have resulted in serious harm.

This reminded me that when I was in the Navy, whenever we were getting ready to work on any piece of dangerous equipment, we had to go through a formal process of getting safety tags to place on the circuit breaker that we had to use to remove power from that equipment. It was a PITA, but it kept you safe from someone else energizing and activating the system, and ensured we knew the dangers.

Anyway, now I’m looking to get a magnetic emergency power switch to plug my 10ER into, and to use it as my main power switch. This way whenever I turn off the switch all power is always removed, and I won’t have to remember to unplug it.

Any dangerous place that requires a human to remember to act safely is a place that is destined to one day fail. Building in consistent safety routines help us humans to act safely, especially when we forget to think about it.
-----------------

some things we take for granted, I started electrical trades in high school so electricity does not scare me , I was changing out a florescent bulb in a factory once , have changed out thousands of them in my life , the power was off at the light switch so I felt there was no danger of shock, I have changed them out with the power on many times , when a fella came around and was going to write me up for not tagging the circuit out . he was right , even though the lights were off some one could have came around and not knowing turned the switch on . a good safety policy in a industrial uncontrolled setting is all ways lock out tag out . in the garage now I put a piece of tape over the switch before I start working on a motor even it it is unplugged , just a habit now .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Brings back memories Hobbyman :)

As an intern at a paper factory, I was tasked with climbing up on top of a 20 ft frame of a machine and changing the fluorescent bulbs on the factory
ceiling above the tool. Not exactly sure what the machine did, but 15 ft wide rolls of paper flew thru this thing at hundreds of feet per minute. They were nice enough to turn the machine off for me while I was on top of it. Anyways, somehow I got across the tube connection and took a good long AC jolt , which luckily for me kept me vibrating in place..rather than tossing me off that frame to the machine/concrete floor below.

Since then, I am very careful about making sure there is no power on fixtures I am sticking my fingers in :)