What goes on in your shop?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thewriteturn
Silver Member

What goes on in your shop?

Post by thewriteturn »

In my shop I make pens and other small turned items, and also do some scrollsaw (flatwork), presently I'm getting into A&C style furniture making. I've already made a Desk lamp, end table, ottoman, and currently working on a prarie style sofa, all out of QSWO. Would love to hear what others out there are doing?:rolleyes:

Paul
chettrick
Gold Member

Post by chettrick »

I started into the bowl and vase turning. If the prices of decent pieces would come down, then I would do more. I was in Hawaii last year and fell in love with the Acacia Koa. I ordered up a bunch and it has an awesome finish to it.

I also have made a rolling tool box for the shop to fit under the shopsmith. I know they sell one that fits but the cost of making it was a lot cheaper and more customized. Not to mention more fun with box joints. Of course by the time I finished it, I had purchased the Lift Assist to save my back and now the cabinet does not fit due to the piston spring.

Also used it to make a garden shed, next big project is remodeling a horse stable into a large work shop.
ken_indiana
Silver Member

Post by ken_indiana »

I do intarsia and make furniture. I also do scroll sawing. Right now I'm making a Hoosier cupboard.

I just finished making 3 chalice and bread intarsia.

I've made 4 "hope" chests, a Celtic knot chair, a hall tree, and an English pub table. I've made 10 yard Nativity sets. Also have done 8 table top Nativities. I've also done many intarsia projects and other yard ornaments.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I do most anything I think I can tackle. Right now I'm building a coffee table and two end tables (walnut and cherry) for a customer. I'm also making a set of tambor doors for a customer's kitchen TV enclosure. The doors will open left and right rather than up. I also make shadow boxes for a local business.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

OK, you asked!

Post by Greenvilleguy »

OK, you asked!

Dad owned a furniture store and bought at '54 model Shopsmith in "57. We used it to repair furniture parts and general stuff.

Now, there is always someone who needs a cabinet, a bookcase, a picture frame or something. It seems like some is always having a craft fair and wants some stuff to sale, i.e. bird houses, bandsaw raindeer, candel sticks, etc. Ocassionally I do get to build a really nice piece of furniture; although most ends up in one of my kids homes. I'm learning to turn bowls, but I'm still a novice at it. Pens are fun when I have 30 minutes and want to piddle. I haven't sold any, but I'm constantly asked for "freebees".

Oh, I'm also restoring a 1942 old town wood canvas canoe.

The point is that with a Shopsmith and a few supporting tools, you can do a wide variety of woodworking.
robrmcc
Bronze Member

Post by robrmcc »

I have been a shopsmith user for a long time (25 years) starting out with an old 1950's model which I rebuilt and working now with an upgraded 1990's 510. Over the years I have built everything. Furniture, electric guitars, ear rings, jigs, drums, bodhrans, etc etc. I don't do much turnign on the SS because I have a stationary lathe and the SS can't compete.

My son is a luthier so he builds guitars, banjos, bouzoukis, mandolins, etc. He has been doing it for about 5 years. He uses the SS extensively for all kinds of operations. He also plays in a band (check it out at http://www.duhks.com) which is becoming pretty popular so he has less time for building. I have made a ton of jigs for him on the SS for side bending, routing neck joints, routing binding grooves, shaping the neck etc etc. I also made a SS driven thickness sander which he still uses even though we now have a Performax.
Rob McC
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Right now I'm constructing cabinets for the master bath. After that project I move to the kitchen for cabinets, an island and sicilian stove hood. Plus I think there is at least two pieces of furniture that needs the touch.

In the past I have built a cradle which held 6 grandchildren, a rocking horse that carried the same six grandchildren on many adventures, end tables, bookcases, hope chests, mail boxes and yes even some pens.

I also fix many pieces of furniture that come from garage sales, thrift stores and "found" treasure. Plus all the neighbors know I have the tools so I can usually count on seeing one of their smiling faces holding something that needs to be cut, fixed, or designed and built.

In my spare time I redesign my workshop to overcome the short comings that I built into the last design. :confused: My shop is becoming like a ship with a place for everything and everything in it's place. :p
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

In my shop

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Two key items I build in my shop right now. I like to turn pen on my 510 but lately I have been building cradles for my new grandsons. I have seven daughters and I build a different cradle style for each of them for their first child. So far I am up to 4 cradles built. My neice that that was a great idea so she asked for one also. So now I have built 5. Always looking for new ideas and styles for cradles and small furniture. I have a 510 I bought new in 95. I also have two ER's which I am restoring one and also an ER jig saw. I like anything ShopSmith. Looking forward to seeing what comes up on this forum.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

I build custom cabinets for any room in a home. Also some custom funiture and occasionaly some store fixtures. I have been building cabinets for 25 years and have been self employed since 1988. This weeks projects are a 30"x72" kitchen island and a 60" built in china hutch. Next week its a bunch of whirlpool tub fronts. I have a 520 and use it mostly for its drilling ability. Also have an old total shop clone. I took it off its stand and bolted it to a wall with homeade brackets. Both are the best woodworking drill presses money can buy.
sawdustman
Bronze Member

Post by sawdustman »

I usually do a good job of making sawdust. My favorite tool is the scroll saw. I make name plates out of wood for my friends, etc. It's a lot of fun to give them something for free and they always tell me I should charge but it wouldn't be fun if I did that. I make other things for the grand kids.