Laundry cart

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Laundry cart

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Finished the prototype of a laundry cart for my mom. She was complaining about having to reach down to the basket to get the cloths out to hang on the line. It should also hold a basket while picking vegetables or fruit. I found a couple of pictures of antique carts and a toy cart that I used for inspiration. Now I just need to figure out what wood I want to make it out of as the prototype is made from re-purposed plywood. I just used some 1 inch strap that I had for the basket holder but I think some of the wider lawn chair webbing would be better. The basket holder just hooks over the front dowel so it will fold fairly flat when not needed.
20210730_112129_opt(1).jpg
20210730_112129_opt(1).jpg (146.48 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Laundry cart

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Very nice
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Clever design! Should work really well. Maybe cedar or redwood if its going to see much time outdoors?
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Good functional project. You could probably just paint the prototype and sell it also. I would buy it at a yard sale.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Very creative!
Looks good and funcional too.

John
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OMG! Someone else with a clothes line!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Very nice. I love the antique design feel of it. I know it will be very handy. I can’t wait to see the final work.

I suspect you may have already considered this, but I would see if there are wheels available that are slightly more substantial if the cart is sometimes going to be rolling across heavier grass, the terrain is a little rough under the grass, or it will sometimes be soft from rain. The wheels shown may get hung up in the grass, and the cart may be somewhat difficult to push in those conditions, especially if there’s not enough weight or frame strength to allow the cart to solidly track.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Great idea! You've created a carrier cart you could put all sorts of containers in.

I agree with Marc, somewhat larger wheels would be better for any use besides smooth flooring. You have plenty of space on the legs to upgrade those if you find something nice.

I will be borrowing or stealing your design, depending on how you see it.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I like it! :)

Should be strong enough as is to hold a load of wet laundry and that it folds up for storage I give it an A+

I agree that bigger wheels would be a benefit for moving over lawns and rougher ground.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

One of the things that I am thinking about changing is adding wheels to the other legs so you do not have to tip it while moving it. Some of the antique carts had four wheels instead of two. The wheels that I used are 6 inch lawn mower wheels and seem to work fine as I move it around my yard. Most of the antique ones had smaller wood wheels. The 1 inch webbing should be replaced with wider webbing as it will pull apart, even though it is woven, with smaller baskets/containers if not carefully placed. The top edge of basket holder is at 32 inches, which is about the same height as the antiques but the top of your basket will depend on the size of it and where it sits on the webbing. I used the largest laundry basket I could find for the wooden frame dimensions then used the webbing lengths to adjust so a smaller basket would be at about the top of the wooden frame. It worked very well for holding containers while picking my Summercrisp pear trees. I am not sure about the height if I was picking something at ground level or pulling weeds on my knees and wanted to place things in the basket container without getting up, I will have to try that at some point. I will post dimensions if someone wants them.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router