Trying out a new idea

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Trying out a new idea

Post by reible »

I did a multi pass height change so I wasn't taking off too much on each pass and I had a backer board which was sacrificial that was not pictured. I did the deed then took the pictures......

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

very clever...I like that unique shape.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Started work on the downstairs bathroom and need the same sort of corner detail, but of course different. Since I know not everyone has a nice collection or router gear to do this sort of thing I decided to try it with a drill press. The bad news is I didn't take pictures while I was doing it. I hope this after pictures help clarify the process, well along with my words.

For this project I started by making 4 cubes, 1-1/2" in size. I then clamped them in a drill press vise and added a clamp to the other two sides. This has the advantage of having a center where the four blocks meet. The molding is 3/4" so a 1-1/2 Forstner was used to drill though all four blocks at the same time. I did end grain first, note the pictures that follow are not how they were actually drill but rather to give the concept of how it was done.
block1.jpg
block1.jpg (106.66 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
I then rotated the blocks to drill a second hole, again the blocks are not in the exact position as drill but represent the concept. I clamped them as I had done for the first hole and then drilled the second hole.
block2.jpg
block2.jpg (125.87 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
They have been sanded but I still have some more work to do to them. The back corner needs to have a flat since there is likely a radius in the drywall corner. I will also add a decorative button on the lower side. They then will be painted white.

When I get to the next step I will post a picture of what they look like before they are mounted. And maybe one after mounting.

I do wish I had pictures along the way but I was in a hurry to get them done. If it is not clear how this was done I can try to recreate it another time.

Ed
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Very cool!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Nice use of the concept I first saw Nick use to make his bandsaw crazy legs. That’s some beautiful three dimensional thinking.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A small amount of progress. I have added the button detail and have one coat of sanding sealer on.
onecoat1.jpg
onecoat1.jpg (128.56 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
onecoat2.jpg
onecoat2.jpg (136.45 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
Now I'm going to get a second coat one once this coat has dried but I'm wondering if I really want to go white with these???? I think I should stick to the plan but then??

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

How did you do the button? Can't wait to see finished project.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The buttons are glued on, actually a hole was drilled in the parts I'm making and the buttons have a tenon on the bottom.

I would normally have just turned the buttons, I've done that before somewhere here, but this time I was running out of warm shop time so I purchased them.

Ed
titanzop
Bronze Member

Post by titanzop »

I will work if the profile is correct. They look very good also and are much easier when dealing with funky angle corners. techzpod.com mobdro app