Trying out a new idea

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Trying out a new idea

Post by reible »

Not sure if this will work or not or how well but I though I would give it a try. I'm doing some updates to a bathroom and am at the point of putting up some quarter round between the ceiling and the wall. I was just going to miter the corners but then trying to do that all by myself seems a bit of an issue. One thing is I'm recovering from a shoulder issue and second I'm trying to use a plastic quarter round that is floppy..... Plus trying to get an accurate measurement.....

Anyway I started looking at corner details. Then I thought maybe I would make my own. So that process has started. Here are the 4 corner parts. There is another operation coming, then of course the sanding and finishing.

brc1.jpg
brc1.jpg (173.15 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
When I get farther along I will post more pictures.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Trying out a new idea

Post by JPG »

Coping a corner joint is a common technique.

I will work if the profile is correct. They look very good also and are much easier when dealing with funky angle corners.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I think those are what's referred to as corner blocks and yes they are an alternative to mitering or coping.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Busy day but I did get time to move this project along.

In this picture you can see how this will work. The part will be in the corner and the quarter round will be on the wall and ceiling joint.
brc5.jpg
brc5.jpg (232.41 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
They are sanded so just waiting a couple of coats of paint and then I can try them out for real.

I'm not sure how people thought I made those cuts for the quarter round so I figured it might be a good idea to clear that up.

This jig is great for this sort of project. It is an older model but I don't see any reason to get a newer one since this one is working fine for me.
brc3.jpg
brc3.jpg (191.1 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
brc2.jpg
brc2.jpg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
After one has both cuts done I cut it to length and start the routing of the next one. It is done in several passes, the router raised for each pass.

I then went to the band saw to make the angled front. The block was double sided taped into this V notched piece of 2 x 4 so I could make the cut.
bcd3.jpg
bcd3.jpg (188.31 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
I used a hand plane to get rid of the cut marks and then sanded that face and the two exposed ones and of course the bottom.
bcd4.jpg
bcd4.jpg (374.17 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
Another busy day tomorrow so I'm not sure if they will make it to painting but the next couple of days after that are reasonably open.

Oh yea I also knocked off the back corner so it will fit in the corner better, not sure if it is enough but I will try them before painting.

Ed
shackman66
Silver Member

Post by shackman66 »

Sharp! Look forward to seeing some installed.
MK5 344440 - 1956, MK5 100952 - 1981, Magna Model 610, Magna Model 620, Magna Model 630
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Half of my house is an old log cabin and with all wood wall inside. I had to make custom 1/4 round and other moldings to close up corners where walls meet. There will be more to do and the corner block concept is very appealing.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Neat approach and you have given me some ideas about how to handle a molding situation in the RV that my daughter and I renovated.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Installed these parts today. Work well. End of this project is in site.
bathroom part.jpg
bathroom part.jpg (67.09 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:50 pm Installed these parts today. Work well. End of this project is in site.

bathroom part.jpg

Ed
Really, really NICE.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice how did you prevent chip out ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"