Buffing Knife Handles> Beall System?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fishrman
Silver Member

Buffing Knife Handles> Beall System?

Post by fishrman »

Been a very long time since I have been on here and glad to discover it again. I have an old 82 or so Mark V. I have just gone through it and put a little oil where I should have years ago etc. Anyway, I have got into making knife handles and putting them on both new and used blades. Enjoying it much. I just completed 3 sets of steak knives I made for my kids for Christmas and am trying to get a nice mirror like polish on them. They look pretty good but I have a feeling I am buffing a little to slow. Everything I have read indicates you should buff somewhere in the 1750 rpm range. I don't have a chart that shows the equivalent rpms to the individual letter speeds on the machine but after googling. It appears that 1750 might be around the letter I on the machine. That may be the reason when I was trying to dress the wax wheel with Carnauba wax, I couldn't get it to visibly take any off of the block of Carnauba?? Guessing it needs to be rotating faster than I had it to build up enough heat to accept the wax? Anyone else have ideas on this? Thanks for any tips!
Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: Buffing Knife Handles> Beall System?

Post by Mike907 »

You are correct, I on the speed dial is supposed to be about 1750 rpm.

Beall Tool has many videos on buffing on YouTube or through the Beall website. At about the 1:30 mark in this video, he says not to use very much carnauba wax, or it will leave smears and streaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbFOKk3TeYM

Mike
fishrman
Silver Member

Re: Buffing Knife Handles> Beall System?

Post by fishrman »

Mike907 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:28 am You are correct, I on the speed dial is supposed to be about 1750 rpm.

Beall Tool has many videos on buffing on YouTube or through the Beall website. At about the 1:30 mark in this video, he says not to use very much carnauba wax, or it will leave smears and streaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbFOKk3TeYM

Mike
Yes, I discovered that yesterday when I tried it. I "not very much" is hardly anything at all. Hard to judge.