Front Door Refresh

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Front Door Refresh

Post by bainin »

Well-not a Shopsmith project persay...but included some wood and sanding and such.

The wife has been bugging me to do something about the front door which I had labelled as "weathered" which sounds better these days
as that is in vogue...she wasn't buying it though :)

Taking off kickplate revealed how "weathered" it actually was haha. Had no idea it was such a dark stain .
door1.jpg
door1.jpg (83.97 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Sanding it back took awhile ...and multiple stainings to get it relatively even and touched up here and there with a stainable filler.
door2.jpg
door2.jpg (107.18 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
As part of the process, the lady wanted to try 5 different stain colors. We put them on, and let the house vote for their first and second favorites and determined a winner. I went off and bought a couple more small cans of the winner. Well...as I recall the winner had a more yellowish hue to it then what was goin down. Someone had mixed up the cans and the ordering during the voting ! The final stain was "Sedona Red" followed by multiple coats of the Spar Polyurethane.

Anyways-unlike national politics, we decided to hang the door and give it a try-even though it wasn't our first choice. Lo and behold- it don't look bad.
door3.jpg
door3.jpg (61.26 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
door4.jpg
door4.jpg (78.96 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
and finally back in place -
door5.jpg
door5.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 2041 times

Maybe this post is telling you why I havent done anything in the shop lately - this project took alot longer than expected and having to every nite rehang the door for security sake got old quick.

b
tkjones63
Gold Member

Re: Front Door Refresh

Post by tkjones63 »

looks fantastic, id be proud of that
Troy Jones
just a old almost retired phone guy in remote western oklahoma
USAF Veteran 1985-1991
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Beautiful!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Turned out great in my opinion. I did this on my front doors maybe 5 years ago to get some more life out of them. Unfortunately they are starting to check more now and the moldings around the small windows are in really bad shape. My doors are just very old. Also, the doors are south facing and here the desert sun is brutal on wood and wood finishes. Still debating if I want to work on it again or try to build two new doors in my shop, or hand it over to a professional to put new doors in.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Yeah- we got a quote from a "door" installer , actually 2 different ones. Both told us that they don't simply install doors...no they bring in the heavy lifting equipment and replace the entire door/frame and surrounding accent windows etc as a unit. They were ranging in installed costs of $6000-10000 which was way more than I was willing to throw at a door. The argument is its the only way they can ensure their insulation ratings or whatever the that they quote. Uh huh. For that much money I could put up solar panels and run the AC and heat with all the windows and doors wide open :)

Next time, I will likely look around for a local handyman to simply replace the door and weatherstripping. It was a slow process and I'm an impatient person. Not an easy project for me.

b
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

Those must have been some expensive doors they were quoting for you because replacing a front door unit like that is about a two hour job for a couple of people even if they're trying to slow walk the process.

By the way, the door looks fantastic, well done.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Just wondering if anyone has built their own wood doors for their house before? I have thought about taking it on, but not sure I can get lumber dry & straight enough to attempt it. Anyone have experience with this?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

That door came out looking fantastic, well worth restoring. It looks absolutely gorgeous framed in that entryway.

RFGuy, I'd worry a lot about a wood exterior door where I live with constantly changing temperature and humidity. Would it be so much of a problem where you are?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:43 am RFGuy, I'd worry a lot about a wood exterior door where I live with constantly changing temperature and humidity. Would it be so much of a problem where you are?
Yeah, that is my concern as well. IF the lumber was super dry to begin with I think it would be okay if I can get it straight enough. Of course, I can start with thicker stock and mill it down to try to get it as straight as possible. I just know doors have to be very straight and dry to start with or you'll have problems. I can tolerate some wood movement on furniture and other projects that I build, but doors are more demanding. I have no experience building a house door, but I have built shed doors with Dad in the distant past. This area is drier than other parts of the country, but the humidity does fluctuate throughout the year (see below). Our humidity peaks during the summer monsoon season, but daily humidity can very high when it rains. So, we can have quite large swings in humidity at times. To compound to this is that the humidity inside my house stays a more constant 45-50% humidity all year round, so there is uneven humidity on one side of the door relative to the other side to contend with.
HumidityPhoenix.jpg
HumidityPhoenix.jpg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
📶RF Guy

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

That chart could represent a typical day in June around here.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER