Lathe tool rest

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DavidG55
Bronze Member

Lathe tool rest

Post by DavidG55 »

My Shopsmith mark V 510 only has set screws on the lathe toil rest. There has to be a better way to adjust the rest than messing with set screws and a hex wrench. Where can I find a goid alternative?
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Lathe tool rest

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I don't recall the thread size or length, but McMaster Carr has an extensive selection of adjustable clamping levers. They come standard on newer Shopsmiths.

https://www.mcmaster.com/lever-handles/ ... handles-6/
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Shopsmith has a tool rest upgrade with levers, and a new arm for some reason. Not sure how this works, I hope they are levers with screws in them which could be obtained from McMaster Carr above, or others.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... pgrade.htm
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DavidG55 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:00 pm My Shopsmith mark V 510 only has set screws on the lathe toil rest. There has to be a better way to adjust the rest than messing with set screws and a hex wrench. Where can I find a goid alternative?
Shopsmith sells a tool rest upgrade kit with levers to replace the set screws.

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:38 pm Shopsmith has a tool rest upgrade with levers, and a new arm for some reason. Not sure how this works, I hope they are levers with screws in them which could be obtained from McMaster Carr above, or others.

The kit with the arm has the two position arm. Original arms were only one position. If you don't need or want the arm the levers are available without the arm.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Somewhere on the forum I think someone showed how they made a platform that fit into the tool rest and held a lathe chisel. I think they used a length of 3/4 inch pipe with a threaded end onto which they screwed a flange. This went into the tool rest and then they clamped a lathe chisel to the flange/platform and slid the entire carriage back and forth to make a uniform cylinder.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:40 pm Somewhere on the forum I think someone showed how they made a platform that fit into the tool rest and held a lathe chisel. I think they used a length of 3/4 inch pipe with a threaded end onto which they screwed a flange. This went into the tool rest and then they clamped a lathe chisel to the flange/platform and slid the entire carriage back and forth to make a uniform cylinder.
Alan,

Do you mean this one (see below)? Boy, it seems to have gotten harder to search and find recent threads than it used to be here. In the past, it would have only taken me a minute or two to find that thread, but it took me about 10 min to find this one. I wonder if something has changed with the forum search SW in the last year...has anyone else experienced this where the search doesn't work as well now?

viewtopic.php?p=279743#p279743

viewtopic.php?p=279758#p279758
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:01 pm
algale wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:40 pm Somewhere on the forum I think someone showed how they made a platform that fit into the tool rest and held a lathe chisel. I think they used a length of 3/4 inch pipe with a threaded end onto which they screwed a flange. This went into the tool rest and then they clamped a lathe chisel to the flange/platform and slid the entire carriage back and forth to make a uniform cylinder.
Alan,

Do you mean this one (see below)? Boy, it seems to have gotten harder to search and find recent threads than it used to be here. In the past, it would have only taken me a minute or two to find that thread, but it took me about 10 min to find this one. I wonder if something has changed with the forum search SW in the last year...has anyone else experienced this where the search doesn't work as well now?

viewtopic.php?p=279743#p279743

viewtopic.php?p=279758#p279758
Nice find!! Now I see it wasn't a pipe and flange but a turning faceplate and the tailstock arbor. Nice. Should have figured it would be Reible -- that guy is one of our resident Shopsmith geniuses!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

DavidG55,

The set screws for the arm of the Lathe Tool Rest assembly uses 5/16" set screws like almost all set screws used for accessories for the Mark series tools. If looking for the levers do make sure that you get the correct thread size.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.