Dec 2nd in IL, nice day for projects

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Dec 2nd in IL, nice day for projects

Post by reible »

Not often I can get out side to work on projects in December but today was one of those days. First project was to make some molding. Simple stuff just a cut out on the back side and then chamfered edges on two sides.
trim1.jpg
trim1.jpg (196.29 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
Used a dish bit and got it about in the center. Ran it through one why then the other to center it. Those Jessem guides make this so easy.
trim2.jpg
trim2.jpg (175.66 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
45 degree chamfer with the bit embedded in the fence. Did a test cut then checked height on the table with the 1/4" brass bar until height was just right.

Result:
trim3.jpg
trim3.jpg (195.14 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
Now time to go on to another project.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Dec 2nd in IL, nice day for projects

Post by reible »

This next project was a little bit of a head scratcher. So I stuck together a jig that I hoped would work and I think it did but I'm not happy with it. The problem is wider stock being cut to an effective 60 degrees from the saws perspective. The actual angle is 30 degrees from the work pieces perspective.

The saw is tilted to 30 degrees and the jig holds the work piece at 30 degrees...... sounds confusing?? Here is a picture:
bhn1.jpg
bhn1.jpg (218.22 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
The three parts are pretty close to the same length, perhaps a few thousands off so we will see what happens at assembly.
bhn2.jpg
bhn2.jpg (204.71 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
More on this another day.

Ed
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Ed- why the miter saw instead of table tilt on SS ?

and damn I'm jealous of those Jessem guides on your router table :)

b
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Wow!!! The weather back there is amazing. Although I was born in Aurora, IL we left when I was three, so I grew up in Eureka, MO. I keep tabs on the weather in several different cities back there and I cannot believe it got up to 72 in St. Louis!!! In December!!! That is unreal.

Glad to see you are taking good advantage of the woodworking opportunity. Looks good!
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Ed, nice work on the jig and getting the three pieces so close in length. Hopefully the planes of all those bevels ended up right at 90.0 deg relative to the edges so everything closes up tightly. I've done cuts like you're doing there and it can be a bit frustrating when some setting or another is off a zillionth and things don't line up.

How do you like your Kapex?

Rob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I ran out of time today to attempt an assembly but in the next couple of days it will happen. I think I will try laying them out flat on tape then fold up and see how close things are. I think I will have to live with what ever the results are, no good way to make that small of changes to either the length or the angle. If it works well enough I will glue it up, hope PVC glue will be enough, no plans for anything else so??????

I love my Kapex. I wish I had gotten it years earlier. I use to get covered in saw dust with the old saws, now that never happens. It is very accurate and easy to get repeatable results. The down size was of course the cost.

Ed
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

The saw is tilted to 30 degrees and the jig holds the work piece at 30 degrees
I have been thinking about making a jig to hold work pieces at the desired vertical cut angle and keep the Kapex at a constant 90 degrees. The saw works well at cutting accurate vertical angles but I don't like having to change the fence and removing the bottom kerf inserts. Does your jig work at cutting 30 degree angles with the saw set at 90 degrees?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This jig has a very limited usefulness. The jig was designed for the purpose it served but only minimally.

For one thing it depends on the limited space between the cut line and the end of the work piece. This is very limiting. Say you want to cut a 12" piece then you cut the parts to the 12" and the cut to have the work side kerf meet the 12" end of the work piece. I did this then added a stop to locate the rest of the cuts. If a part is too long then you are off, if the part is too short then you are off, ie the cut is dependent on the actual length of the work piece and while you could cut to a line it gets complicated quickly. Cut off stock is very limit in length due to the angle and the height of the jig relative to the base of the saw.

I had a particular width of material I was planing for, certainly not the full capacity of the Kapex. Smaller widths would be easier, wider more difficult.

The other issue is clamping. I provided a few option none of which worked out well. Ended up using a spring clamp and my grip to hold and that was not as perfect as I would have liked. If I were to do this jig again I would add some t-track or the like to provide both clamping and stock location. I do have a few ideas on how to do this if I ever do make a new version. I needed to have done a lot more planning with the saw right in front of me.

As far as fence moving, it just a lever and if you don't have other attachments it not much effort. I have a replaceable kerf insert. I always save one for just vertical cuts that I want accurate. When the slot get used I depend more on the dual lasers. I have mine set so the line is just inside the laser line.

BTW I didn't the time to attempt the assembly. Right now I feel it will be good enough but I also know I could be surprised at how bad it comes out.

Ed
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Thanks, Ed. Most of my limitations for a vertical cut setup are of my own making. The ProStop auxiliary fence that I have installed does not allow me to move the Kapex fences with the after market aluminum Zero Clearance Fence plates mounted far enough out of the way and currently I only have one kerf inset. The kerf insert is easily fixed but deconfliction with the auxiliary ProStop fence is more problematic. So far it has not been an issue because the width of the stock I have needed to cut has been less than 4.75" so I use the special cutting position to make the cuts vertically up against the fence. I will have to further evaluate my options.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Ed, I had a Kapex for a while but decided to sell it when I retired and closed my business. Occasionally, I wish I still had it. It was a very nicely made piece of machinery, that's for sure. DC was pretty good, and we could use it set up inside the customer's house without any problems. Recently, I bought the Dewalt cordless 7 1/4" miter saw and I have to say it's a decent saw given that it's not very expensive. I only need a miter saw about twice a month, and it sure is convenient to pull that off the shelf, pop in a battery and go. The DC is decent using only the dust bag.

Do you have a track saw? I've been thinking about how a jig would be made to make those cuts you have, using a track saw. That might have the advantage of easier repeatability of cut length and also no limitation on the width of the work piece.

I think you mentioned using PVC. I have some PVC biscuits left over from a job long ago and won't ever use them. If you can use them let me know and I will send them to you.

reible wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:50 pm

I love my Kapex. I wish I had gotten it years earlier. I use to get covered in saw dust with the old saws, now that never happens. It is very accurate and easy to get repeatable results. The down size was of course the cost.

Ed