Made possible by this forum

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Made possible by this forum

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice and will last longer than the china made plastic junk in the BB store .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
lew
Gold Member

Post by lew »

Thank you for all of the kind words and encouragement.

The QWSO is beautiful wood, had some challenges with tearout (shopsmith planer and hand planes) but I now know how to use a card scraper and will be sharpening everything up before the next project. The Dust Cobra works pretty good, excellent collection from the planer, pretty good on the bandsaw, ok'ish with the table saw, I have a circa 1980 Mark V, guessing the dust collection is improved on newer versions.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

lew wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:23 am Thank you for all of the kind words and encouragement.

The QWSO is beautiful wood, had some challenges with tearout (shopsmith planer and hand planes) but I now know how to use a card scraper and will be sharpening everything up before the next project. The Dust Cobra works pretty good, excellent collection from the planer, pretty good on the bandsaw, ok'ish with the table saw, I have a circa 1980 Mark V, guessing the dust collection is improved on newer versions.
Guess again! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

lew wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:23 am Thank you for all of the kind words and encouragement.

Yes it has! I now have the DC-6000 and it does perform better than the DC-3300. The DC that I now have is the old model upgraded with the kit. At this point, I have no experience with a factory built DC-6000 but I doubt there would be a difference.

Oh yeah, you were actually commenting on the efficiency of the dust collection on the Mark V it self. Sadly, no - it has not been improved but then a stand alone Mark V is not a dust collection system. It is, after all the source. To consider it a dust collection system there needs to be a dust collector.

The real deficiencies, IMHO, are in the lower saw guard. The dust that does escapes does so without ever getting into the dust collector air flow.

I posted a video (way back when) of the under side of the Mark V while it was using being used as a table saw. It showed where the dust was escaping. I resolved some of that but was not able to eliminate it all. It would be really neat if some one (Hello, Jim McCann) would go to work on that,
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Hello Dusty,

I tried to search the forum for this video but didn't find it. Could you provide info about the video so I can watch it? Is it on YT?

Thanks

Rob

dusty wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:00 am
Oh yeah, you were actually commenting on the efficiency of the dust collection on the Mark V it self. Sadly, no - it has not been improved but then a stand alone Mark V is not a dust collection system. It is, after all the source. To consider it a dust collection system there needs to be a dust collector.

The real deficiencies, IMHO, are in the lower saw guard. The dust that does escapes does so without ever getting into the dust collector air flow.

I posted a video (way back when) of the under side of the Mark V while it was using being used as a table saw. It showed where the dust was escaping. I resolved some of that but was not able to eliminate it all.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RCZ wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:13 pm Hello Dusty,

I tried to search the forum for this video but didn't find it. Could you provide info about the video so I can watch it? Is it on YT?

Thanks

Rob

dusty wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:00 am

I posted a video (way back when) of the under side of the Mark V while it was using being used as a table saw. It showed where the dust was escaping. I resolved some of that but was not able to eliminate it all.
So Sorry. It does not seem to be there anymore. In fact. none of my uTube videos are there.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Very nice!
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Beautiful work!
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Really Nice!!!
You should send the pictures to ShopSmith to put in their owners projects.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Dusty, that's too bad. But thanks for checking for me.

So Sorry. It does not seem to be there anymore. In fact. none of my uTube videos are there.