Where Purchase Lathe Gouge Blades, w/o Handles?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

runamuk13
Silver Member

Where Purchase Lathe Gouge Blades, w/o Handles?

Post by runamuk13 »

Where can I purchase just the lathe gouge blades without handles?

I can make my own handles. That's pretty easy and fun.
Mark V - 500 --> 510 --> 520 --> 7 PowerPro
Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer and more
Shopsmith owner since 1984
edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Where Purchase Lathe Gouge Blades, w/o Handles?

Post by edflorence »

Just last month I purchased a 3/8 (10 mm) Beading and Parting tool from Robert Sorby, through Amazon. The HSS tool came without a handle, so I turned one of oak, and used an inexpensive 11/16 socket from an old set as the ferrule. Stuck it all together with epoxy and it works great. I believe it is possible to buy pretty much any tool that Robert Sorby offers without a handle, although this is the only one I have done that way so far.
B & P Tool .jpg
B & P Tool .jpg (379.72 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Here are a couple of sources for high quality turning tools without handles:

https://thompsonlathetools.com

https://oneway.ca/products-category/tur ... ng%20Tools

Don't know where you are, but you may be able to find the Oneway gouges at a woodworking store that sells Oneway lathes, the tools from Doug Thompson are easiest to buy online.

Happy turning,

Mike
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

all ways had good luck finding tools at flea markets and garage sales .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Not cheap but really good quality:

https://d-waytools.com

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RonKlein
Gold Member

Post by RonKlein »

Ron--K6VPV
510, upgraded to 520, now PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic, scroll saw, strip sander, pro planer, OPR, DC3300, and more.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Another option is to purchase the little carbide cutters and make the handles and shafts yourself so you have complete carbide tools.
https://www.rockler.com/shop?w=easy+woo ... de+cutters
Areba21
Bronze Member

Post by Areba21 »

I own this set and haven't experienced any issues apart from the usual headaches for beginners of trying to figure out how to sharpen them and what grinding to use on the gouge in the bowl. The steel appears to be of decent quality (holds the edge) as well as the handle is comfortable. I've turned a few off-balance parts that I shouldn't be using on my lathe but haven't been able to break anything.

However, I'm not certain if I'd even consider buying the entire set if it was something I needed to go through it again. The tool that I keep in my pocket the most frequently (by by) is the 1/2 inch bowl gouge (I used an swept back grinding on it). Then it's the one of the two skews (with an angled grind). I utilize it for spindle work beads, recesses, and bowl tenons, negative scraping using rakes. ....Next is most likely that spindle gouge. I don't utilize the spindle gouge a lot and tend to use my own thin tool for parting over the parting tool included in the kit. The larger skew replaces the smaller skew occasionally, or I'll employ it to roughen the spindle.
Jefferyk2
Bronze Member

Post by Jefferyk2 »

I own this set and haven't experienced any issues apart from the usual headaches for beginners of figuring out how sharpen them and what grinding to use on the gouge in the bowl. The quality of the steel appears to be good (holds edges) while the grips are comfortable. I've turned some off-balance pieces I shouldn't be using on my lathe but haven't been able to break anything.

However, I'm not certain if I'd even consider buying the entire set if it was something I needed to go through it again. The tool that I keep in my pocket most often (by the most) is the half-inch bowl gouge (I applied an swept back grinding on it). It's then the less slender of the two skews (with the radiused grind). I utilize it for work with spindles beads, recesses, and bowl tenons, negative scraping with rakes. ....Next is likely to be an abrasive gouge for the spinning. I don't employ the spindle gouge a lot and tend to use my own thin parting tool instead of the parting tool included in the kit. The larger skew replaces the smaller one occasionally or I'll make use of it to roughen the spindle.
Last edited by Jefferyk2 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Hmmmm!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT