My Ultimate Shopsmith Storage Solution

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hudsonmiller
Gold Member

What? - No Cooler

Post by hudsonmiller »

Seriously - very very nice.
Just remember - It's all tool setup.
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

I'm currently working on some of the matching peices to go with the storage unit and work cart. I got two short storage units completed today except for the work tops. I need to finish painting the sides and back for the tall cabinet. This is all part of the shop upgrade I am working on. Pictures soon.
flyslinger
Gold Member

Post by flyslinger »

Great Idea, an organized shop. eveytime I put my 5/32 allen wrench down I can't remember where I put it......again great job
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

flyslinger wrote:. . . eveytime I put my 5/32 allen wrench down I can't remember where I put it......
Look to the left side of your Mark X, just below the locking handle. You'll see two holes. Drop your allen wrench into one of those, and you will allways find it.:rolleyes:

Dick
A Veteran-whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve-Is Someone Who, at One Point in Their Life, Signed a Blank Check Made Payable To "The United States of America", For An Amount of 'Up To and Including My Life'
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dickg1 wrote:Look to the left side of your Mark X, just below the locking handle. You'll see two holes. Drop your allen wrench into one of those, and you will allways find it.:rolleyes:

Dick

I keep watching for freebie old speaker magnets. I have 3" magnets on the front (on the belt guard just in front of the way tube) of a couple of my SS's. just hold the Allen wrench near it and it will grab it. I also keep the chuck key there.
In the metal shop I have one up on the side of my drill press where I keep the chuck key and a couple of center-drills. In the boot shop I use one for my primary cobblers hammer. It is just glued flat to the bench top and the large faced hammer is just sat down with its face in the center of the magnet with its handle sticking out ready to grab.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Just a storage thought...
As I already mentioned in another thread here (somewhere) I have been pretty impressed with these tower storage solutions and think I will steer that direction for a lot of stuff.
The biggest problem I keep running into with all manner of tools is that I am an admitted tool freak. :D I am not a "Tim Taylor" that always has to have the newest or the biggest or even the best... I just love tools, :rolleyes:
We constantly go to rummage, garage and yard sales and our grown son and I also hit a number of consignment auctions a year.
If I set up a tool panel of about any kind which I do quite a bit, the first thing I know I have acquired another half dozen items that will not fit there... :eek:
It is all pretty far away from the old traveling craftsman who fitted his tool trunk just exactly to fit his saw, his square, his bit brace, his hammer etc.
-
As someone already mentioned everyone works differently and everyone's needs are different.
When I just had the 510 and Old Gray Mare it was easy to keep track of which items went which Shopsmith since they were quite different. Now I have tables for all nine of them which I need to keep separate by machine and the same goes for fences. A lot of the stuff doesn't really matter but the tables and fences can be a little different from each other. They "can" interchange but once you get a table aligned for one SS that does not mean that you can slap it on another and have it exactly properly aligned for it. That is why I have been painting each SS a different color.
I'm thinking maybe I need to build a storage tower or two for the more flexible Shopsmith items and SPTs that can be used on any machine and build some on-board storage for the machine specific things like tables, fences, miter gauges etc.
-
Things like shaper cutters and router bits need a lot of expansion room because you always need more of those. The same goes for saw blades. Clamps are something you will probably keep adding if your shop is active.
-
BTW, I mentioned before that I had just moved stuff into my new as a woodshop shop with a pitchfork and it was difficult to work and that I was now doing a complete reorganizing of it.
I am proud to announce that after a few days efforts I now have it so shuffled that I can't do a damned thing in there... :eek:
Maybe next week...
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

[quote="robinson46176"]Just a storage thought...
It is all pretty far away from the old traveling craftsman who fitted his tool trunk just exactly to fit his saw, his square, his bit brace, his hammer etc.
-
Farmer,

My father in law was a cabinet maker in a small railroad town in South Eastern Colorado. When he passed on in 1971 I was in charge of shipping most of his tools to other in laws. I managed to keep a crowbar that began live as a John Deer Tractor axle, a few worn out hand tools and a scroll saw that he had build by hand. The most popular of his collection was his handmade tool box. Specially built to hold his most treasured hand tools. I hung on to it just long enough to make a copy. I still use that box. As crude as it is it holds my square, Three hand saws, a couple of claw hammers, hand plane and enough measuring and marking tools to build nearly anything. All of his tools had to fit into the trunk of a 1960's vintage Ford Sedan. No its not his toolbox but a close copy that brings him to mind often. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
wslocombe
Bronze Member

Plans?

Post by wslocombe »

What a great storage unit! Do you have any plans you used to build this unit? Thanks for the inspiration.
Walt Slocombe
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

wslocombe wrote:What a great storage unit! Do you have any plans you used to build this unit? Thanks for the inspiration.
Walt Slocombe
I didn]This is a modified version of some plans that were originally in Shopnotes #97. It was designed to house benchtop tools when not in use. When I saw it, I thought it would be a perfect fit for the Shopsmith.

I made some pretty heavy modifications to the dimensions. I added the pegboard lining, side doors and drawer. I just tried to think of everything I use when working on my Shopsmith and made it fit.

You can still find the plans and watch a video here:

Shop Storage[/I]
gk777
Gold Member

Post by gk777 »

Left Door Storage.jpg

on this picutre could you add a close up on how you mounted the tables?