My Ultimate Shopsmith Storage Solution

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

gk777 wrote:Left Door Storage.jpg

on this picutre could you add a close up on how you mounted the tables?
The table holder is comprised of a 2X piece of wood with a groove that the front of the table drops down into on the bottom and a 1X piece of lumber with a home made wooden spring latch that holds the top. I'll try to get pictures and post them tomorrow.
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

As requested, here are some more detailed pictures of my table storage mounts. The bottom support is just a 2X with a groove cut. the back of the floating table sits in this groove. The top is held in place with a wooden spring latch. I made this just using a beveled piece of material so the top can "snap" in place. The spring is a narrow piece of 1/8" plywood that seemed to have the right properties for my purpose. To release the table, just lift up on the spring. If you have further questions after viewing the pictures, just ask.

ImageImage
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I'm planning on following these ShopNotes designs for building some decent storage and workspace in my garage shop. I'm going to start with the large worksurface and cabinet, then expand on that. The miter saw shelf and a second cabinet will be next. I really like the simplicity of the design and the way it looks with the angled corners.

I also like the personal modifications you made, tdubnik. Pretty ingenious.
rcf
Gold Member

Ultimate Shopsmith Storage

Post by rcf »

I don't have room for any separate storage, so I improvised, attached is a picture of the cabinet I built under my shopsmith. Now all my tools are close at hand, especially when I roll it out on the deck of my workshop. [ATTACH][ATTACH]5352[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attachments
shopsmithcabinet.jpg
shopsmithcabinet.jpg (66.47 KiB) Viewed 16973 times
"The road between friends is never long"
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

That's what I need a deck for my workshop. Great storage idea thanks for sharing it. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
wdelliott
Gold Member

Some questions

Post by wdelliott »

How did you hold the spare floating tables to the cabinet?

How did you hold the tops of the spare tubes to the storage rack?

I agree - excellent work.
Wm. D. Elliott
Dallas, TX

1972 Model 500; upgraded to Model 7; bandsaw; belt sander; joiner; planer pro; power stand; OPR; Biscuit joiner; router tables
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

wdelliott wrote:How did you hold the spare floating tables to the cabinet?

How did you hold the tops of the spare tubes to the storage rack?

I agree - excellent work.
If you look at the pictures above, you can see how I mounted the floating tables to the cabinet. First the tables are stored with their tops toward the cabinet. The back of the table is toward the bottom and sits in a groove I cut in a 2x4. The top of the table is secured with a wooden spring clamp I made that snaps over the lip of the table. I think that if you study the photos above you can see this clearly.

The spare tubes are stored under the tables and sit in a box mounted to the bottom of the door. The tops are secured with spring clips I bought at Home Depot. These clips are the type typically used to hang things like brooms and rakes in your garage.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I think the storage solutions presented in this thread are terrific. If I would apply a few of the tips that are available here, my shop would be much more efficient. I spend a lot of time looking for something that I know is "here somewhere".

Sometimes I look so long for something that I begin worrying that someone came into my shop when I wasn't looking and walked off with it. That has never proven to be the case. I eventually find it, right where I left it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:I think the storage solutions presented in this thread are terrific. If I would apply a few of the tips that are available here, my shop would be much more efficient. I spend a lot of time looking for something that I know is "here somewhere".

Sometimes I look so long for something that I begin worrying that someone came into my shop when I wasn't looking and walked off with it. That has never proven to be the case. I eventually find it, right where I left it.
Funny thing, too: It is always in the last place you look!!!:rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

gutterman wrote:Funny thing, too: It is always in the last place you look!!!:rolleyes:

In my case it is often in the first place I looked, I just didn't see it the first time. :rolleyes:
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill