bandsaw blade length???

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Burlhunter
Silver Member

Re: bandsaw blade length???

Post by Burlhunter »

They do that on purpose so you can't figure anything out and have to use their extremely overpriced services and parts. Hell, ive had shopsmith reps straight up boldface lie to me in this very forum about a few things just so id buy some overpriced thing that I needed. Don't get me wrong cause I love my shopsmith!! I've got 2 now cause I just went to NC yesterday and bought another one and did it gladly!! But, having said that. A logical person with an ounce of sense can spot the fact pretty fast that shopsmith reps will put one as deep in you as they can and fleece you for as much money as they can along the way. And before any of you shopsmith fan boys start singing their praise like a good little follower that regurgitates shopsmith rep propaganda like a trained parrot, I screenshot the whole conversation and have comparison pictures proving that not only were they wrong as they could possibly be, but they straight up lied about how that part is made so I wouldn't try making it, because they're greedy as hell but sell a quality product (the base and power head) with extremely cheap made yet stupid expensive attachments. So really, unless you want me to make you look exactly like what i just called you by tossing pictures of the conversation on here, i recommend just hushing up and being quiet. Sorry not sorry, but its the truth. And not only will they lie to you, you have to notice how vague they are and how vague the manuals are. its harder to get a straight, actually
informative answer to questions than it is to get blood from a turnip. You have to notice how they all do that. I had one tell me that mk5 500 tool rest posts wasn't threaded and were made with "concentric rings" just to try getting me to buy their 100 dollar tool rest post . Seriously, that post should be 20, maybe 30 dollars at the very most. And you know what? Since they did/said that stuff to me, I take every opportunity to call them out on it just for insulting my intelligence. I work in a machine shop ffs!!, and I'm a certified welder, ive done fab work all my life so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to making things and the things you make them with, so when someone tries passing an obvious boldface lie by me that can only be driven be pure dishonesty and or greed, it pisses me off to no end. Nobody with any common sense likes being lied to like a child just to sell basic BS
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I do hope your post made you feel better.

Now I feel that perhaps you are under the misconception that some of us work for shopsmith and are their reps. Official postings from shopsmith employees is very rare here. Most of the posts are from fellow users with no ties other then owning a shopsmith or two.

You pay nothing for advice here and you get what you pay for. I do recall your posting on the tool post and I for one got it wrong. And I did say sorry, that it was indeed threaded and you were right. That is my memory not working as well as it use to, I haven't used that version post in a lot of years. And BTW I do not work for shopsmith and I do not get paid for anything posted here. And no not even a representative.......... so you might want to adjust your thinking to the reality of this forum.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"when someone tries passing an obvious boldface lie by me that can only be driven be pure dishonesty and or greed" - Plain old ignorance is what I usually attribute that type of misinformation to.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It seems to me as though the Moderators all dropped the ball on this one. That post by burlhunter should never have been allowed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Other than a negative opinion of sales force etc., what was there that should not have been allowed. There was much truth in what he posted. Bad taste fer sure, but that should not be the criteria.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:46 pm Other than a negative opinion of sales force etc., what was there that should not have been allowed. There was much truth in what he posted. Bad taste fer sure, but that should not be the criteria.
Really!!

You think there is truth in what he said??? Highlight the truthful statements if you will. I see nothing but a hateful rant.

Which sales rep gave him false information ...on this forum or anywhere else? Which sales rep ever posts on this forum? How did anything he rants about have anything to do with the length of a bandsaw blade. What photo evidence? Post it!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Without more information, it is difficult to know who he is directing his rage at here or why. Many of his comments seem to be in reference to the thread he posted on back in February (link below). On that thread, I was incorrect in stating that a threaded rod could not be used in the carriage. I simply didn't know the history of the tool rest posts and was wrong. I don't know if he also contacted customer service about the tool rest posts or if he is just referring to this thread below. I don't work for Shopsmith and I am human so errors will happen.

Either way, the tone of his post isn't conducive to having a civil conversation about it...

viewtopic.php?p=280046#p280046
Last edited by RFGuy on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I can understand frustration, it often reveals itself as anger. The post in question is over the top though. All businesses try to sell their products and make a profit. Characterizing that as "an obvious boldface lie...that can only be driven be pure dishonesty and or greed" is over the top. I think we all understand Shopsmith products are expensive because that is what they have to charge to stay in business. The core products here are expensive because they are built to last across generations. Sometimes they come up short in the quality department for some of the accessories and additional tools, and they should be called out for that, but a company that makes bandsaws recommending their own bandsaw blades is par for the course and doesn't call for the overall derision seen in that post.

I hope Burlhunter can lower the temperature of his comments so we could discuss quality and information issues in a reasonable manner.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes his references in the rant were vague. In the post referenced by RFGUY above he also ranted about the search function(an emotional experience I daresay has occurred to all of us).

HAD he simply asked the question [how long is the the rest post] in a thread, I think he would have gotten an accurate answer quickly from others residing here. But alas he tried to get his question answered by using the forum search function.

Since he appears to be a machinist he is accustomed to getting precise information about such simple things. I have to agree with him that SS does not provide that type of detailed info since about half a century ago. Case in point standard hardware descriptions(5/16 x 18 - 1/2 flathead 5/32 hex socket screw).

A rant, yes. Bad taste, yes. Contains truths, yes. Deserves obliteration, no. Compared to "Wild Bad Bob", he is a pussy cat. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG,

Well said. So, who is "Wild Bad Bob"? Your reference made me laugh because of this skit below. "Bad Bob's coming, Bad Bob's coming!" LOL
:)

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor