Bandsaw Noise

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hopkibm
Bronze Member

Bandsaw Noise

Post by hopkibm »

Whenever I use the bandsaw, there's a high pitched whining noise inside the bandsaw casing. I've run it (safely) with the panel off to try to locate the source of the noise and can't find anything. Almost sounds like something needs to be lubricated. I have only used the bandsaw about 1 hour, so not sure what to do.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Mine too....

Post by chiroindixon »

I have checked and rechecked mine. That whine just seems to be part of the normal operation. I've heard similar sounds from other brands. One day I heard it from "Norm's" coming though the television. It's been ignored since. I'm curious to what others say.....
lsilies
Silver Member

Post by lsilies »

A few years ago I replaced the bearings and the noise diminished a bit but not totally. A couple weeks ago the 1/4" blade I have been using for way too long finally broke. When I replaced it the noise dropped off again, significantly. Not totally gone but what I consider normal.
Les
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

It might be as simple as checking the blade guide adjustments... back them off and see if the noise goes away (don't use the saw that way). If the sound is still there then see what happens if the blade is off... also spinning without the coupling/belt in place would make it easier to hear where the sound is coming from if it still makes noise that way.

It sounds way to new for bearings to go bad.

I don't have the shopsmith bandsaw but I do have a bandsaw and have upgraded to non-metal guides,then "cool blocks" a while back, a nice improvment on each step of the way. I then upgraded to a Carter kit that has ball bearing "wheels" for guide blocks, another major improvment and major improment in noise level (I don't know if they make a kit for shopsmith).

Hope this helps,

Ed
sawdust1955
Bronze Member

Post by sawdust1955 »

Yes, my bandsaw has made like a constant growl from the first time I used it. I thought, too, that there was lubrication needed somewhere, but that did not help. Perhaps the tension needed to keep the blade taut and in alignment caused the "whine". I agree that it may be something we just have to get used to. What do you think, fellow bandsaw users? Any tips or suggestions?
nimrod
Silver Member

Post by nimrod »

I had one that screamed a little bit when you were using it, but it was quiet just sitting there running. Turned out the upper bearing behind the blade was dry.

Like reible said, try backing off on the guides a little and try it again. You should be able to find the noise by elimination.

Loosen them all up, and run it with the blade tensioned. If it's quiet, you know the wheel bearings are good. Then, start adjusting the guides one at a time until you find the noise.
hopkibm
Bronze Member

Thanks!!

Post by hopkibm »

Well I'm glad to see it wasn't just me and my bandsaw. I'll get the cool blocks at some point and keep on cuttin'. Thanks to all the good comments. This is my first forum and I'll be a returning "customer".
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

The noise in all likelihood is the upper blade guide ball bearing.
I think Shopsmith sells a replacement to cut down the noise.

To test if this is the problen open the cover and find the bearing the upper guide bearing. Then touch a drop of oil on the bearing surface so the blade slides on rather than spins the bearing. The noise should stop for a moment.
redpepr
Bronze Member

Bandsaw noise

Post by redpepr »

I felt my band saw was making too much noise so I greased the bearings. And it was a little better. But still made a lot of noise so I greased the bearings again and adjusted all the roller and guides per the manual and now I am satisfied its in good working condition.

RP
jgrounds
Gold Member

Post by jgrounds »

redpepr wrote:I felt my band saw was making too much noise so I greased the bearings. And it was a little better. But still made a lot of noise so I greased the bearings again and adjusted all the roller and guides per the manual and now I am satisfied its in good working condition.

RP
Is the bandsaw still making a lot of noise?

John