Jig saw owners might find this interesting

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Jig saw owners might find this interesting

Post by reible »

I've been busy with lots of projects, one of which was working out a way to machine sand some parts with have been routed with a 1/4" bit... that is they have a radius that is produced by that bit. I've been doing that with some help from the drill press and some 1/4" O.D. mini-sanders.

The old jigsaw can mount more then just jig saw blade, most notable the file set or even saber jaw style blades mounted in the lower chuck. I have even used sized Popsicle sticks with psa sandpaper so why not these mini-sanders (Jim Dandy products).

So lets get started with some pictures before you fall asleep reading all these words. Here look over my shoulder as we do a little recon.

The mounting went OK, loosen the slotted screw so it is not in the going to touch, then insert the shaft and use the hex screw to tighten. Follow that with tightening the slotted screw.

[ATTACH]6801[/ATTACH]

The first problem that you notice is the problem of fitting the mini-sander in the slot of the table insert. I'll address this in my second post in this thread.

[ATTACH]6802[/ATTACH]

As can be seen below the stroke at the lowest is on the sandpaper and at the high point it is not hitting any of the super structure and the paper is still in contact.

[ATTACH]6803[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6804[/ATTACH]

From this point we will move to making a new table insert so if that interests you look for my posting below.

Ed
Attachments
DSCF7283sc.jpg
DSCF7283sc.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
DSCF7282sc.jpg
DSCF7282sc.jpg (49.85 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
DSCF7285sc.jpg
DSCF7285sc.jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 5959 times
DSCF7286sc.jpg
DSCF7286sc.jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote:...
From this point we will move to making a new table insert so if that interests you look for my posting below.

Ed
I do knot have the jig saw, but from where I sit, all of your posts are interesting. :)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The table inserts are not carried by shopsmith any longer so this might be of interest to others just as a method of replacement for a lost or damaged one or perhaps for the reason I made this one... that being the need for a larger opening.

The table insert is about a 1/4" thick and 3" in diameter. I dug through my box of scraps for some material to use and then remembered that I still had some scraps of aircraft grade plywood from a project some years back. No luck with it being thick enough but since I had other plans this is what I picked for my material.

I also have a role of UHMW plastic 3" x ?? with PSA. I've had very good luck with it sticking and have it on many of my jigs. As you know this stuff is slick and it was perfect for added some thickness to the sandwich.

[ATTACH]6805[/ATTACH]

I glued and clamped the UHMW to the plywood for about 20 minutes. I was planning on sizing the circle using the disk sander and I wasn't to sure how the plastic would react to the heat so I decided to use my gasket circle cutter to remove the outer portion of the plastic.

[ATTACH]6806[/ATTACH]

I used my band saw to get the piece into a circular form. Using the same hole the gasket cutter used I put a small nail in and used the disk sander to get it to size and very round.

The head of the bolt determined the size of the center hole for this model and a 1/2" bit seemed a fine fit. Using the hole form the nail as the center for the bit I drilled the hole. When I dropped it in it was just a bit higher then the table. My first thought was to surface sand it until it fit... as I pulled it out I first noticed that the bottom of the table opening had a radius... YES! All I had to do was round the edge of the bottom of the new insert and in 1 attempt I was able to adjust the height so it is flush. I don't know if that was design intent or what but it sure worked nice. I can not say if this is the case with all 610's either but if it is this is an easy process.

[ATTACH]6807[/ATTACH]

Conclusion it is a easy task making the insert. The sanders are expensive but at least at this point seem to be working well for me. I haven't done a lot with them so I have no idea on the life expectancy of the paper. If you think you are interested in the mini-sanders check out http://www.jimdandy.com for places that carry them.

Ed
Attachments
DSCF7287sc.jpg
DSCF7287sc.jpg (30.26 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
DSCF7289sc.jpg
DSCF7289sc.jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
DSCF7291sc.jpg
DSCF7291sc.jpg (35.91 KiB) Viewed 5957 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Seems I forgot a few things, that will happen if I don't look at my notes first before babbling on (btw I seem to have lost my babble fish).

The sanding papers come in 80, 120 and 150 grits. The disks are 3" long so you can flip them for fresh surfaces and or add an extra table top to get to fresh grit.

The one thing I noticed I forgot about on this version was being able to sand at an angle. As you know the table tilts so it might be useful to have the center hole a slot to take advantage of that. Oh well there is always version 2.

These mini-sanders are normally for drill press use and they do work quite well there. That is in case you didn't get my hint in the first posting and you have no jig saw or would rather use them there.

Ed
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

reible wrote:(btw I seem to have lost my babble fish).
Ed,

nice post. well written HowTo.

and getting that <bleep> fish in my ear was probably the third hardest part of that game - right behind getting all the lint and activating the drive.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

This is great! Thanks!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I figured I might as well get my moneys worth on this post so I'm adding what I had mentioned about using a Popsicle stick in case someone missed the words or had no idea what I was taking about. So in 5 pictures you will have all the details you need if you want to try this at home.

[ATTACH]6842[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6843[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6844[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6845[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6846[/ATTACH]

If you have questions ask them...

I've got one, any one know what kind of wood is used for these?

Ed
Attachments
DSCF7305sc.jpg
DSCF7305sc.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
DSCF7306sc.jpg
DSCF7306sc.jpg (47.2 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
DSCF7308sc.jpg
DSCF7308sc.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 5857 times
DSCF7309sc.jpg
DSCF7309sc.jpg (53.32 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
DSCF7310sc.jpg
DSCF7310sc.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

iclark wrote:Ed,

nice post. well written HowTo.

and getting that <bleep> fish in my ear was probably the third hardest part of that game - right behind getting all the lint and activating the drive.

Ivan
Ivan,

No kidding! I had forgotten that one and no longer have the TRS 80 to run it. Somewhere I do have my Don't Panic button but the peril sensitive sunglasses are long gone.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Thought I'd add that you can buy a couple hundred Popsicle sticks at a Fabric store like Joanne's for less than $5.

They make good sanding sticks for all kinds of smaller areas - and they even work like fingernail files. A little sandpaper - white glue - a minute or two - and you have the grit of your choice.

I learned about these sanding board in carving class.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
nllaeder
Gold Member

Post by nllaeder »

horologist wrote:Ivan,

No kidding! I had forgotten that one and no longer have the TRS 80 to run it. Somewhere I do have my Don't Panic button but the peril sensitive sunglasses are long gone.

Troy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml

The anniversary, illustrated version.

There are other free, text versions exactly like the old one on the interwebs.