Finishing maple

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Greenvilleguy wrote:Well, I found a couple of sources of nitric acid just by "googling". Here is one. http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/10421/SLN1963?gclid=CMLLude78Y4CFQGRPAodJypJFA . I can't vouch for any of them since I haven't used it.

Thanks I may just call them and see how fast they can ship it out. The color on the maple in the video from the saw dust session looked about right.
thanks again!

Anyone else with any staining secrets or treasures you have learned that may help me in my ordeal?? I'm open to any and all suggestions!
Ed
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Check the Yellow Pages for a chemical supply company in your local area and see if they have it in stock, if not they can probably order it hopefully in a small amount.
Jim in Tucson
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Ed in Tampa,

Just for some comic relief.... I find I can mentally manage my wood projects OK... until the finish steps!

Here is a desk I did this past winter (I'm using it right now). It was *supposed* to have a uniform light red glaze on the top. Actually I made an oak desk, put pickling white stain all over it, sealed it once with poly, then added a red glaze to the top and side pieces. So far so good... until I added my final poly-coating. My brush lifted off big patches of red glaze! I almost kicked the thing into splinters. But then I just got some darker red paint and added a graphic on the top, and finally polyurethaned it for the last time. When I was done, my buddy pointed out that I had recreated a "Pizza Hut" emblem. Now I just cover the desk with a bunch of junk.

Chris
Shopsmith 510, Bandsaw, and other accessories
Attachments
Desk Top.JPG
Desk Top.JPG (22.57 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Nuhobby

THANKS!!!!! I needed that. I'm so frustrated, so discouraged.

I did ask the same question over in the Wood forum and was told to forget trying to use Nitric acid, the shellac wasn't removed with the alcohol but just driven deeper into the grain. There is bound to be places that the nitric wouldn't contact the wood and remain unchanged. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing where they are until it is way too late. Live and learn.

My wife and I have spent most of the day working on test samples and it seems like we may have a plan. First a coat shellac, then a coat of gel stain in chestnut wiping everything that will come off, off. Then another coat of shellac and finally a coat of polystain in walnut.

The shellac seals the wood, the stain tints the shellac coating a very subtle darker color, then the next coat of shellac seals the stain and final coat of Polystain brings the color we are looking for. The stain under it prevents light spots and smearing.

I may stop then or apply a final coat of clear poly but from the samples it looks to be unnecessary at this time.

Nuhobby everyone loves to know there are others that have this kind of experience and I really thank you for sharing. I hope my finished project turns out looking as good as yours. Thanks again my friend
Ed