Band Saw tires

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us.

Yes the bandsaw will fit.

Even if the shopsmith is working fine it wouldn't hurt to clean it up inside and out, do the necessary lubrication, wax the table/tubes and such with the original Johnson's Paste wax. Follow this with checking the alignment and will a step ahead from where you now are.

The bandsaw may need some tender loving care and you will want to check it out before applying power to it via the coupling. Unlikely the coupling will come with it unless the owner said so.

Ed

[quote="23loaldo"]Being a brand-new mwmber and being totally clueless about the propewr procedure for asking a question, I will throw it out here and see what happens. I have a Mark 5 machine S/N 325015, Green in color. Got it recently on a garage sale and it works just fine]
bosox
Gold Member

Post by bosox »

Bill-Co wrote:I also purchased new tires. I have had aproblem with the tires slipping off the wheels. Has anyone else had this problem? The wheels were clean with nothing left on them from the old tires.
Thanks for any help you can give.
I have been advised before that in purchasing new tires, it must be a couple of inches smaller than the band saw wheels. And because it is a urethane tire, it doesn’t need to be glued on the wheel. A bigger diameter tire has lesser grip that will cause it from slipping off. A couple of inches smaller will likely make the tires stretch and create stronger grip avoiding slipping.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bosox wrote:I have been advised before that in purchasing new tires, it must be a couple of inches smaller than the band saw wheels. And because it is a urethane tire, it doesn’t need to be glued on the wheel. A bigger diameter tire has lesser grip that will cause it from slipping off. A couple of inches smaller will likely make the tires stretch and create stronger grip avoiding slipping.
I guess I would suggest that purchasing from Shopsmith should reduce if not completely eliminate the risk of getting the wrong size tire.

Yes, I know. Shopsmith had urethane tires that were too big but that was a long time ago and Shopsmith acknowledged that problem and fixed it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
camero68
Silver Member

Post by camero68 »

I just bought my urethane tires from an online provider http://www.bandsawparts.com . I will have to look into Shopsmith also.
bosox
Gold Member

Post by bosox »

Very nice costumer support and quality control! Thanks for the heads up!