Gallery of completed woodworking projects

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I am so short-sighted. When I first saw this project I sorta yawned. But now when I see the photos I'm thinking "Those are GREAT!!!!!"

Congrats on a very fine production!
mickyd wrote:My first!!!
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Yes, VERY NICE!

My appreciation is all the greater after "wrassling" my yard's 6-sided lamp lately, to replace the candelabra bases.
Chris
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

mickyd wrote:My first!!!

My Goodness! Didn't they come out pretty? Yes! Very nice, Mike!:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

My first dinning table

Post by kd6vpe »

OK,
I know it has taken a long time for me to finish this. A lot of things have been happening to me and I could not spend the time I wanted to in the shop. This is for my youngest daughter's first apartment. Next will be the chairs. I also now understand how important it is to watch the grain matching especially on a table top. But this was my first try.
Attachments
DINNING_TABLE.JPG
DINNING_TABLE.JPG (132.69 KiB) Viewed 13817 times
DINNING_TABLE_1.JPG
DINNING_TABLE_1.JPG (115.68 KiB) Viewed 13756 times
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

KD6VPE 73's Very nice table. Most of the time when up close, it will have a 'tablecloth' on it. We all learn from past experience(if we pay attention).

Realize it IS harder to 'match the grain'!

Good JOB!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Real nice job on the dining table. Looks great.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Great job on the table, I see you have not been spending all your time at work and Looks like you shop is serving you well my friend. Look like I need to make a trip up your way to see how this was done. My Wife was looking at a table just like this for the dining room
Again great first table.:)
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Very nice table - Jim (kd6vpe)! Your daughter will prize the table for ever! Don't forget to sign the piece with the date and your "sign" ( or initials).
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Jim, very nice work. Matching the grain is tough, I am sure. I just wish my " mistakes" look that nice! ;)
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

One of the biggest factors - maybe frustrating - when trying to match grain on larger tops is the extra amount of wood needed in order to find adjoining matching grain. Sometimes volumes approaching 2X the needed volume is required to get a real good match. In my pocketbook, that volume is limited to around 1.5 times the volume.

Also there is a color aspect to the selected pieces. This may be the only issue on some tops. If we can select (or order) rift or quartersawn wood grain is not a problem.

Here are some photos of a couple of pieces recently finished:

First is the coffee table with a lifting top. Since this top was made from all quartersawn and riftsawn oak. Grain was no longer the major issue. Color had to be arranged so the changes looked "evenly fluctuating".

End view of top so you can see the alternating colors of boards.
[ATTACH]9015[/ATTACH]

Close up of finished top - It's not really a white as it looks. The thing that looks like a brand is a blue stain in the wood. My guess is this stain was surrounding an old dead knot.
[ATTACH]9016[/ATTACH]

Best photo I have :( showing finished table top.
[ATTACH]9017[/ATTACH]

Top of blanket chest - can't see how many boards used. Lucked out having only 1.25 amount of volume for top boards.
[ATTACH]9018[/ATTACH]

Inside of same top showing 6 boards joined in the top. Best match was on the to 2 and the bottom 2 boards.
[ATTACH]9019[/ATTACH]
Attachments
HPIM2171.jpg
HPIM2171.jpg (131.7 KiB) Viewed 14416 times
HPIM2219.jpg
HPIM2219.jpg (133.02 KiB) Viewed 14408 times
HPIM2226.jpg
HPIM2226.jpg (132.09 KiB) Viewed 14398 times
HPIM2290.jpg
HPIM2290.jpg (135.02 KiB) Viewed 14385 times
HPIM2291.jpg
HPIM2291.jpg (141.63 KiB) Viewed 14377 times
Chuck in Lancaster, CA