SS planer blade sharpening guide

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scollins
Gold Member

SS planer blade sharpening guide

Post by scollins »

I am interested in the SS planer blade sharpening guide. I do not have the conial disk. Can it be used with the 12" flat aluminum disk? Does anyone have one to sell? I appreciate any feedback that the group can provide.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

scollins wrote:I am interested in the SS planer blade sharpening guide. I do not have the conial disk. Can it be used with the 12" flat aluminum disk? Does anyone have one to sell? I appreciate any feedback that the group can provide.
Since you only need a small contact point (not to overheat the knive edge)when sharpening the joiner/planer knives, I cannot see how the flat disk would work. I find the conical sanding disk has many other benefits for doing any type of edge sandings.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

scollins wrote:I am interested in the SS planer blade sharpening guide. I do not have the conial disk. Can it be used with the 12" flat aluminum disk? Does anyone have one to sell? I appreciate any feedback that the group can provide.

I have considered(but not yet tried) the following setup.

Use either the SS blade holder or a home brew one.

Use a flat sanding disk, BUT do not run it at 700+ rpm.

Attach a slow rotating driver to the left output shaft(think grill rotisserie).
While the flat disk is rotating slowly, slide the holder and blade back and forth across the disk.

Not as fast, but perhaps it would work.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The honest answer is NO! Like bill Mayo said you need a single point contact with the sanding disk!

Didn't know either disk is made from aluminum.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:The honest answer is NO! Like bill Mayo said you need a single point contact with the sanding disk!

Didn't know either disk is made from aluminum.
The older (pre SS Inc.) ones are.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Thanks for the feedback