16 bits worth?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

16 bits worth?

Post by JPG »

While cruising the lumber room of our local Woodcraft, I came upon a bundle of what appeared to be culls from somebody making cabinet doors from maple(4/4). It had '$2.00' written on it. I noticed it and continued 'cruisin'.

After coming back out of the lumber area(I was interested in maple spindle blanks they allegedly had on sale). I needed something to make thin(1/4" x 1/2") strips for a 'jewelry' box I am making. The drawers are about 12" deep by about 23" wide by about 3/4" high. The strips were to support the home brew wooden drawer slides I am contemplating making. I needed some raw material for the slides as well.

Well there were no maple spindle blanks to be found. Sooo back to the bundle I went. Closer examination revealed the pieces were longer than 1 ft and were apparently rejects that included 6 mullions and 4 rails. The mullions were shaped on four sides and the rails on one edge only. The shape looked like I could get the 1/4" x 1/2" strips off the shaped edges.

To make this a shorter tale, I got 4 strips off one mullion and that left a 6/4 x 4/4 piece left over. Two of the four strips have a curved shape on one side, but enough shoulder to work as a support(flat side up).

[ATTACH]12292[/ATTACH]

The only waste other than saw dust is the two very small strips in the foreground.

Methinks my 16 bits was well spent!:D
Attachments
16 bits worth.jpg
16 bits worth.jpg (125.36 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange