Bench Plane

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ddvann79
Gold Member

Bench Plane

Post by ddvann79 »

I wanted to share some work I did on a cheap hand plane I recently acquired. It had plastic handles and I wanted to replace them with wooden ones using my Goldie. The front knob was turned on the SS. The grip was rough cut with a hand held jig saw screwed to the bottom of a worktable (I don't have a band saw). The greatest convenience with the SS was the disc sander. That enabled me to quickly round the grip to its final shape.

The handles are mad of red oak I had laying around the shop and a strip of alder (courtesy of Mark/mbcabinetmaker) for an accent. The long grain in the grip runs parallel to the sole which provides strength for the fingers on the top and bottom of the grip. A carriage bolt runs through the center to provide cross-grain support.

Lastly, I used a 1400 grit pad on the sanding disc to smooth the sole and it put a near mirror finish on it.

[ATTACH]12873[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12874[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG00399-20110507-0920.jpg
IMG00399-20110507-0920.jpg (131.46 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
IMG00406-20110507-0922.jpg
IMG00406-20110507-0922.jpg (148.04 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Nicely Done!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Tools beget tools, great job! :)
Chris
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Nothing better than seeing an old tool brought back to life and in better shape than before -- Great job there!!
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

Very nicely done. I also noticed the Harbor Freight clamp in the background. I went and bought a few of them today as they were on sale. Unfortunately the 12" sale clamps were all gone but I bought 4 24" and 2 36" at 7.99 and 8.99 ea. I thought they were pretty good for the price. I quickly learned when i got home why they are so cheap. One of the 24" clamps broke as soon as I clamped it to something. That was pretty disappointing to say the least. But it is repairable and will be much better once repaired. They use these little plastic round columns to hinge the handle with and if you put too much pressure on it boom it breaks. So that is the weak point of those clamps. But a quick drilling and a thru bolt and nut should have it back in business.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wannabewoodworker wrote:Very nicely done. I also noticed the Harbor Freight clamp in the background. I went and bought a few of them today as they were on sale. Unfortunately the 12" sale clamps were all gone but I bought 4 24" and 2 36" at 7.99 and 8.99 ea. I thought they were pretty good for the price. I quickly learned when i got home why they are so cheap. One of the 24" clamps broke as soon as I clamped it to something. That was pretty disappointing to say the least. But it is repairable and will be much better once repaired. They use these little plastic round columns to hinge the handle with and if you put too much pressure on it boom it breaks. So that is the weak point of those clamps. But a quick drilling and a thru bolt and nut should have it back in business.
A pin(metal dowel) works better than a bolt.

These are not suited for heavy duty clamping. They slip when they don't break.

Also the pads like to slip off.

But hey! For $2!

Currently 1.99 here(12")
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

JPG40504 wrote:A pin(metal dowel) works better than a bolt.

These are not suited for heavy duty clamping. They slip when they don't break.

Also the pads like to slip off.

But hey! For $2!

Currently 1.99 here(12")

That is if they have not already been scarfed up before you get there. The pad slipping problem could easily be rectified with a little CA glue. And where Mr. JPG would I source metal pins like what you mentioned? I would think a machine screw with washers and nyloc nut would be better than a pin but hey what do I know??
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wannabewoodworker wrote:That is if they have not already been scarfed up before you get there. The pad slipping problem could easily be rectified with a little CA glue. And where Mr. JPG would I source metal pins like what you mentioned? I would think a machine screw with washers and nyloc nut would be better than a pin but hey what do I know??
5/16" od threaded spacer 1/4" long. Hole drilled thru both sides(clearance to the threads of a thru bolt that threads into the spacer., but leave the shoulder on the 'unbroken' side). The bolt need only be 7/8" to just fit into the hole on the opposite side.(tapped also would be better than clearance!) The 5/16" provides more bearing surface and as the plastic has spoken, the stronger the better.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

benchy
Silver Member

Post by benchy »

Wow,Nice tools you have there! Great Job!