Poly/Stain or not

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sambofl
Gold Member

Poly/Stain or not

Post by sambofl »

Just a quick Q&A post to see everyones take on Poly/Stain.
I can't seem to make up my mind on it. I love it on smaller pieces but not on larger cause it seems to set-up to quick and I'm not fast enough to get it evenly spred. But here are my general questions.

1. Is it worth getting?
2. Pro's and Con's?
3. If not using the combo would you use stain then Poly or stain then Laq.?
4. Foam brush or other? Why?
5. And final question kinda related to the combo but it just came to me. Brush on Poly or wipe on poly.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

sambofl wrote:Just a quick Q&A post to see everyones take on Poly/Stain.
I can't seem to make up my mind on it. I love it on smaller pieces but not on larger cause it seems to set-up to quick and I'm not fast enough to get it evenly spred. But here are my general questions.

1. Is it worth getting?
2. Pro's and Con's?
3. If not using the combo would you use stain then Poly or stain then Laq.?
4. Foam brush or other? Why?
5. And final question kinda related to the combo but it just came to me. Brush on Poly or wipe on poly.
Sambofl
If you read my other post you know I'm into the thick of staining and finishing. From what I have read you don't want to go near Polystain. That said I have found people that posted pictures with very positive results using polystain in other forums.

I hear it is nearly impossible to blend as you mentioned and again with soft wood the finish tends to end up blotchy. That said I'm having real good luck stopping blotchy staining by using pre coat of shellac. However I have discovered other problems.

I like Poly as a finish and I tend to go to it before lacquer. In fact I usually do most anything before I resort to lacquer just because I don't like rubbing it out.

On poly I have read mixed reviews/pro's and con's using foam or a good bristle brush. In my opinion with poly you have to avoid bubbles. I have had excellent luck doing this with both foam and bristle brushes.

I have used both brush on and wipe on poly (poly blended with tung oil). I like both.

However my absoluted preferrence on any finish is a custom blend of 1/2 poly and 1/2 tung oil with the first coat or two wet sanded ( wet with the mixture and wet and dry sand paper). Wet sanding with 220 wet and dry paper rubbing the mixture in raises wood particles of the wood that then fill the wood even smoother than you dry sanding and acts like a sanding sealer.

To me Poly/oil mixture is superior to most other finishes due to it extreme resistance to wear, water, chemicals and I believe the oil in the mixture penerates the wood and hardens it, so it resists denting and such.

The one thing I have learned about finishing is the biggest mistake is people try to rush recoating. I have learned with nearly every product it is best to let it completely dry and cure before doing any sanding or recoating. I usually wait 24 hours between coats. I also usually allow days or even weeks before I do any final buffing or waxing.

I will await others opinions because the everyone knows I'm having my own problems with staining maple right now.
I hope someone else will come up with a dynamite finish.
Ed