Slot mortiser and defending Shopsmith

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Slot mortiser and defending Shopsmith

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hey guys here are two links you might be interested in.
The first is my defense of the Shopsmith on another forum. Feel free to jump in and add support. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66914

The second link is to an interesting thread on using the Shopsmith to become a slot mortiser. Apparently one of the guys added table to the main table that had linear bearings that allowed him to shift the table from side to side. Then using the table height adjustment he had both x and y axis capabilities to cut slot mortises. If you ever watch Dave Marks of Woodworked on DIY channel you will see he has a dedicated slot mortiser that he frequently uses to make loose tendon joints. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66889

We are waiting pictures of how he did it.
Check them out
Ed
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Ed,

Thanks for a super job defending Shopsmith. Having got my system this year, I'm still delighted with it.

Chris
Shopsmith 510, Bandsaw, and other accessories
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I read your response and loved it! I scratched my head at some of the other responses, especially the one person who said the way tubes flexed and had to wonder whether or not he was doing woodworking or operating a sawmill with his Shopsmith. As for the others, I have never felt set-up or converting to another mode is that big a deal. It sounds like those who have expressed dissatisfaction didn't know what they were doing. To those who say it is unsafe, I'm sure we all agree that any power tool is unsafe if you are careless and do not watch what you are doing. You did great!

BPR
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I thank you Ed for your post also. As for those ss going so cheap just let me at them:eek:
As for slot mortise I use my shopsmith joint-matic. It works great.
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

Ed, your post was right on. You summed it up well. I, too, wonder how that fellow could make the tubes flex, or is it that he just thought they flexed? I bought my SS new in 1963, shipped it everywhere (I was in the USAF and retired after 21 years), have put it back into service (after letting it sit and rust for about 20 years) and in the process derusted, cleaned and upgraded my Magna SS 500 to a ShopSmith 520. I don't think the tubes have flexed yet.

It would be interesting to see how many of those in the forum where you posted have had a machine, or any group of machines, that can say they bought in the 60's and have updated it, or them, to the latest model offered by the manufacturer. I'll bet the count is zero. In fact they have probably replaced many of those early machines with newer ones.

I have used my SS to build cabinets, jewely boxes, planters and other stuff. I am now building the cabinets for a kitchen remodel. My trusty ShopSmith will see me thru.

Dickg1
dusty
Platinum Member

Slot Mortiser and Defending Shopsmith

Post by dusty »

I dropped an email to one who was offering his cheap but I haven't gotten a reply.

I started to do combat and then decided that I didn't want to go there. This was after I had written about a page.

Why? Because for some people the Shopsmith is not the most appropriate. Shops that are turning out projects commercially don't need the Shopsmith. They have the space to house stand alones and the budget to support their SPT for the long haul.

Some of these guys are in that category while others are nothing more than want-to-be's.

I am a home hobbiest who doesn't know what the next project is going to be. More significantly, I don't know what equipment I might need to support that next project. With the tools that I have selected (my SS and the supporting cast) I am equipped for just about any project that I might be inclined to tackle.

I can't do that with stand alones. Two reasons: the primary being the space limitations and the other being cost. If I had "quality" stand alones for every tool that I have, I would need to move into a butler building. To pay for that group of tools, I'd have to give up all my other vices.

As for the guys who think it takes too long for change overs - I don't work on the clock. This is a hobby for me. I do it for relaxation and escape. Besides that, it doesn't take all that long - unless you have never done it before.

Then there is the guy who says changeovers require too much planning. I'd like to see some of his prize winning projects; the ones he did without planning.

However - I used to work on an old Rockwell table saw. The table was 5'x5' without attachments. With the side tables and the outfeed table it was huge.
It was accurate and powerful; I never attempted to cut anything that it couldn't handle. Sure wish I had had a shop for it to go in when Rockwell decided to sell it. Then I'd be with those guys. I'd also be $8500.00 poorer
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ricknwood
Gold Member

Defending Shopsmith

Post by ricknwood »

I'd personally like to thank Ed and anyone else who posted on Sawmill Creek in defense of our wonderful machine. I also let them know what I thought, in a nice way. Remember, they just don't get it. Rick
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Thanks ED! Good job! I will add to your post over there as soon as I get an E-mail saying I can. Had to register.

Thanks again!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Sawmill Creek either doesn't like me - maybe I'm too old for them - or they are slow accepting my application to be enrolled. I'm happy to read other's posts supporting Shopsmith and want to add my $.02. Am waiting for Sawmills E-mail. Tried to re-register and they said there was someone else with this name and password already registered. Hmmm, must be me. Tried to post and - no dice - had to log in and they wouldn't have that!

Already, I don't think very highly of their forum! It's been over 24 hours since I registered. If I ever get on, I'll have to remind them of this poor service.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

charlese wrote:Sawmill Creek either doesn't like me - maybe I'm too old for them - or they are slow accepting my application to be enrolled. I'm happy to read other's posts supporting Shopsmith and want to add my $.02. Am waiting for Sawmills E-mail. Tried to re-register and they said there was someone else with this name and password already registered. Hmmm, must be me. Tried to post and - no dice - had to log in and they wouldn't have that!

Already, I don't think very highly of their forum! It's been over 24 hours since I registered. If I ever get on, I'll have to remind them of this poor service.
Hi,

I signed up yesterday morning and I'm still waiting too. It could be they know we are from shopsmith and don't want any new trouble makers. I had the impression the email would be sent out quickly but........... Looks like we are in the same boat.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]