520 Rip fence scale indicator

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

520 Rip fence scale indicator

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Has anyone else had this problem? I picked up my fence the other day and set it on my 520 I went to line up the scale and all of sudden I had no indicator. I thought perhaps I didn't know what I was doing but the more I thought about it, it seemed like there was a plastic thingy that acted as pointer to align the fence to the scale. I went to my cabinet where I store my fence and sure enough there laying on the shelf was the black plastic fence indicator.

It is apparently double sided taped to the bottom of the fence and apparently the heat here in Florida made the tape fail. I stuck it back on but I think I need to make a more permanent repair.

Anyone else have this problem? Is so what did you do?
Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I have not had the problem. As I remember, the installation instructions included attaching the indicator, but mine was already attached and it has stayed attached to this date. That double-sided tape is usually pretty sticky. It's hard to imagine that it would just fall off unless there was something wrong with the tape or it got pried off. Or, like you say, the heat softened the adhesive enough for it to come off. I wonder if there's a tape with a more heat-tolerable adhesive out there.
dusty
Platinum Member

520 Rip Scale Indicator

Post by dusty »

I doubt that the problem here is simply heat. I live in Arizona and my shop opens to the west. During the summer sun shines directly onto my Shopsmith for hours on end. None of my magnetic tapes have come loose.

If your tapes were preinstalled, I have no ides what the problem might be. If your tapes were user installed, I suspect that the surface was not properly prepared (cleaned).

What to do now. Ace Hardware and Woodcrafters both sell self adhesive magnetic tape. Woodcrafters has it in 1/2" width. I'd clean the rails real good with mineral spirits, let it dry thoroughly, and reinstall.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Dusty,
I don't think Ed is talking about the magnetic tapes themselves. He is referring to the plastic indicator that attaches to the bottom of the rip fence. The ends of this guide are where you read the dimension off of the tape.

Bruce
dusty
Platinum Member

520 Rip Fence Scale Indicator

Post by dusty »

I'll bet that you are right. I never noticed that part was plastic. I have no suggestion to offer.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

I have been told that for a very strong double sided tape go to an automotive supply store that specializes in body and fender. Get the tape that they use to fasten trim onto car bodies with.

You may want to clean it with something stronger than mineral spirits, like MEK. MEK can reactivate the adhesive on the original tape but be careful, if it gets on the wrong parts it can cause discoloring or even partially dissolve them if they are plastic. I usually apply with a small dropper, pipette, or Q-tip with a cardboard shaft (not plastic).

MEK will solvent weld some plastics but Methylene Chloride works better.

Use all chemical solvents with adequate ventilation and be careful as they are hazardous.
Jim in Tucson
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Yes I am talking about the plastic indicator and not the magnetic strips.
Since I'm the only one to have this problem I will do one of two things. Try more tape or drill a tiny hole and use a screw to secure it to the fence permanently. Looking at it there is plenty of room for a screw.
Ed
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

You may also want to try a slow curing CA such as that used for pen-making. Another idea would be to call the custromer service folks at Shopsmith. They might have an idea that has not been discussed here.

BPR
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

ryanbp01 wrote:You may also want to try a slow curing CA such as that used for pen-making. Another idea would be to call the custromer service folks at Shopsmith. They might have an idea that has not been discussed here.

BPR

I think CA is too permanent. The indicator is plastic so I want to be able to replace it should it ever break.
If you look at the indicator from the bottom there are two circles stamped in the plastic, this suggests to me someone was thinking of hole but changed their mind for some reason.

I checked and there is plenty of clearance so I think either a metal pan head screw or perhaps a counter sink head screw would work fine. I think I will only need one hole instead of two.

Anyone see a problem with that idea?
From everything I checked it looks okay but I rather not drill a hole in the indicator and fence only to fine something I overlooked. So PLEASE check me out on this. I think it will work, but I have been wrong before.
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Ed,

I just finished looking at your situation. I see no reason why you couldn't drill and maybe even tap a single hole in the fence, near the middle of the plastic piece could be safer.

Since you are talking far down inside I peaked in with my flashlight on the open end and see nothing in the middle. I do see some stuff to the sides but I could not determine if that might or might not be an issue.

If you do use tape use pressure sensitive stuff like you would for lathe or router work, not carpet tape.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]