Aligning rip fence on 520 extension

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mlettini
Silver Member

Aligning rip fence on 520 extension

Post by mlettini »

:confused: I recently purchased a additional extension table for my 520 SS. The rip fence is aligned perfectly on the main table. When I try to align it on the extension table it is out of alignment. Help with this alignment.:confused:
dusty
Platinum Member

Aligning Rip Fence on 520 Extension

Post by dusty »

mlettini wrote::confused: I recently purchased a additional extension table for my 520 SS. The rip fence is aligned perfectly on the main table. When I try to align it on the extension table it is out of alignment. Help with this alignment.:confused:
Your question is a little confusing. You say your rip fence is aligned perfectly when on the main table. You only have a problem when the rip fence is moved so that it (the rip fence) is actually on an extension table.

This in itself would indicate that you have no problem with the rip fence or its alignment. Your problem would then seem to be with the extension table. If I am correct, this thread from the forum may help. Post #10, by Nick, is specifically applicable to your situation (as I understand it).

PS: This thread does not deal specifically with the rails on an extension table but the same principals apply.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=539

This following thread deals with table alignment in general but I don't believe this one will fix your problem. It is still good info.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=131

Question: Do you have another extension table; one with no alignment problem?

Do you have a pair of alignment jigs (from Shopsmith) for use when installing the 520 rails?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Aligning Rip Fence on 520 Extension

Post by dusty »

I need to ammend my comments regarding rip fence alignment.:eek:

I reread your post and realized that you are attempting to align your rip fence while attached to an "EXTENSION TABLE". If you work real hard, you may get it aligned but after doing so, if you move it, remove and reinstall it or move it to the other side of the main table - you will most likely loss alignment accuracy.

I can not explain why but that is my experience and it has been expressed by others.

I use my extension tables extensively but for stability more than for alignment. If I need to extend table width for use with the rip fence, I use the tubes and floating tables rather than the extension table. Whenever I hang floating tables, I support the main table by extending the tubes into the extension table (for vertical support). The extra weight oftens pulls the main table out of horizontal thus the need for the extension table.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mlettini
Silver Member

Post by mlettini »

Thanks Dusty

I n;) ever thought of using the floating tables. Too many choices and too many tools for an old guy like me.