510 Rip Fence Reuse

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

510 Rip Fence Reuse

Post by curiousgeorge »

I have been reading some threads about reusing the 510 rip fence for other purposes after upgrading to the 520 system. I recently upgraded so I decided to use mine as an Aux. Miter Gauge Fence. I attached a metal tape and made two stop blocks, one fixed and one flip-up, to use with it. To see the pictures of how it was done go to:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16016312@N08/

All suggestions or comments on how to improve it are welcome.
Thanks
George
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

curiousgeorge wrote:I have been reading some threads about reusing the 510 rip fence for other purposes after upgrading to the 520 system. I recently upgraded so I decided to use mine as an Aux. Miter Gauge Fence. I attached a metal tape and made two stop blocks, one fixed and one flip-up, to use with it. To see the pictures of how it was done go to:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16016312@N08/

All suggestions or comments on how to improve it are welcome.
Thanks
George
Nice work!!!
How much clearance do you have between the fence and the blade?
Ed
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Thanks Ed.
There is 1" clearance from the blade to the end of the fence.
George
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

OK! way to go! This is the sort of thing I was hoping people would start posting. Keep up the good work.

I do have a couple of questions for you.

One, how does the weight feel with that much metal hanging out so far out?

Two, do you have something on the bottom of the fence to make it slide easier?

Three, how is the AL angle stock mounted to the fence?

Four, sourse of the rule, if you wouldn't mind?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

"One, how does the weight feel with that much metal hanging out so far out?"

It is a little hefty but not too bad. If you pick it up in the middle of the fence it slides right in the slot.

"Two, do you have something on the bottom of the fence to make it slide easier?"

Nothing on the bottom. It slides very smooth without anything under it.

"Three, how is the AL angle stock mounted to the fence?"

The aluminum angle is simply screwed on. I did have to grind out a notch for it to fit around the miter handle tho.

"Four, sourse of the rule, if you wouldn't mind?"

I ordered it from:
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/MS-0412 ... -Stik-Tape

They also have Right to left tapes as well. The tapes are the stick on type but you can simply leave the paper on the back so it doesn't stick to the magnetic strip allowing you to calibrate it.
George
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hey George! Way to Go! Very innovative and beautiful work! :D

I'm almost as impressed with your photos as your work. How did you get the printing and arrows in your photos?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

"I'm almost as impressed with your photos as your work. How did you get the printing and arrows in your photos?"

Thanks charlese.
I use OpenOffice.org. It's a free download program that does just about anything that Microsoft Office can do and maybe a few things it can't. Word processing, Drawing, Spreadsheet, Presentation and even Database. I just load my pictures in the Drawing program, add text and arrows, save to disk and that's it. If you don't have Microsoft Office (or even if you do) and have a high speed connection it's well worth checking out. The price is right.
:D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'll second the open office stuff, a really great deal!

When I was working I used MS office but when I retired I could not afford it.

A lot of photo programs off adding text and arrows etc. Check what ever you are using and see if it has that function or something close like insert text...

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

This is kind of off topic but for those who might be interested Microsoft has a great deal for those who have a ".edu" e-mail address, They will sell MS Office Ultimate (which has everything) to those folks for a measly $75!:D

The key is having a ".edu" e-mail address. So for any students out there be sure to look into this deal. I know several students who have taken advantage of this. It's NOT an academic or restricted version - it's the FULL version with no strings attached.

Just thought someone might want to know.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.