Restoring a rocking chair

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Chair

Post by tchwrtr55 »

Thanks for the responses.
For the seat, I am going on some handed down information. Supposedly, my Grandmother had cut it at or just out side the holes. She then rabbitted the groove for the plywood. I am making an assumption the brace was added in at that time. That is rabbitted in as well. All this is hear-say and assumptions on my part. The plywood seat was (is) terribly uncomfortably to sit on. I recaned the back with the thought we could use it. Very few people could ever sit on it for more then a few at a time without a pillow under them.
I am hoping there is a reader of this chat-room either has one, or knows of one. I am kind of working blind. The caning book mentioned (it is an outstanding caning book) does not seem offer much information on the seat of this type of chair. The leather seat mentioned is something I had not thought of as an alternative (or even as a possible original, my family had the habit of not letting the truth stand in the way of a good story). It would save me from having to try to blend in the finish where new wood would be added. If I go that route I will probably go with cloth. Sorry, I am not big on leather chairs.
The lady that was trying to keep me out of trouble when I caned the back called my attention to the off center weave along the bottom. We had a discussion about redoing it but in the end she advised me to leave it alone. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the photo, but other wise not noticed by many people.

Mark :)