Restoring a rocking chair

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Restoring a rocking chair

Post by tchwrtr55 »

I could use some pointers on a project I have in mind. A departed relative of mine removed the cane seat from a Lincoln Rocker (I think that is what it is called) and fitted it with a plywood seat. I would like to restore a cane seat to it. Photos would be outstanding. I recaned the back of the chair a number of years ago. I have some hard maple on hand for this project. Part of the problem will be getting the appearance of the aged (yellowed) varnish.
I am going to attempt to attach a photo.
Thanks,

Mark
Attachments
S5300089b.jpg
S5300089b.jpg (44 KiB) Viewed 14041 times
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Photos

Post by tchwrtr55 »

I do not seem to be having much success attaching photo. Maybe I will try again tomorrow evening.

Mark
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Try resizing the photo, probably 640 x 480 should work. http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=114
Jim in Tucson
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Thanks

Post by tchwrtr55 »

Bingo. Thanks Jim.
Mark
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

If memory serves Roy Underhill did a program, maybe two on that type of work. He has a website. I've recorded (VHS) many of his shows when he was on PBS and I've kept a log of sorts. If you bug me I'll try and remember to check my old logs.

Whatever leaf they used they soaked and installed it wet. I thought it was pretty neat but way beyond my level of patience.

I sure admire you willingness to take on a project like this.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Mark - Looks like you did a yeoman's job on the caning of the back. So, you have good experience here.

I can recommend you look at the Rockler catalog for caning supplies. Also http://www.rockler.com/search_results.c ... ubmit.y=11 They have books, videos, wedges and tools for caning. If I'm not mistaken here, you will have to do some re-modeling of the chair seat before caning. maybe taking off the cross piece and drilling holes for the cane. Might necessitate removing the seat from the rest of the chair, so there is room to cane.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Post by tchwrtr55 »

OOOOOOPs. Forgive me. It is the woodworking (and finishing) I have the questions about. The size and shape of the opening, approximate number of cane holes around the perimeter of the opening. Also any possible thoughts on gluing the wood in place. In my years I have only seen one other chair similar to this. That chair being, I think, at Living History Farms in Des Moines, Iowa. Not for certain on that though.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

OOOps! Me too! The number and spacing of holes, as well as finishing is what I thought (hoped) you could find at Rocklers. The "Caner's Handbook" (87587)(143 pages), looks like a winner.

Sorry, can't help with your finishing. If you finnish the seat the same way you did the back - they should match in a couple of years. In the photo, the back looks new!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Restoring a Rocking Chair

Post by dusty »

Please don't refinish your chair without talking to some experts on that topic. The chair looks to be in pretty good condition.

Refinishing antiques is not always an improvement. Sure the item has a better finish but it is no longer antique; it then becomes just a really nice old chair.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have a question are you sure the orignal had a cane seat? If so how was it attached to the Rocker? I seriously question whether the rocker ever had a cane seat.

Many Rockers made like that had embossed leather covered seats or fabric upholstery seats. That is what it looks like to me, the rocker either had a leather seat or hard seat. Looking at the photo the wide unfinished sections and crossbar in the middle is going to make a cane seat fairly rough to sit on, and they look to be an original part of the Rocker. If the unfinished sections are in fact original I would seriously reconsider trying to cane the Rocker. The cross bar would make the seat very uncomforable and if it was original it is probably structural so removing it may compromise the whole rocker.

If you insist on caning the rocker seat I would consider routing a groove in the unfinished portion of the seat where the unfinished meets the finished. Then using prewoven cane fabric and continuous spline attach the cane seat.

As for matching the color in Maple good luck! However I would experiment with Shellac. Garnet and/or Amber(orange) shellac should be a good starting place. In fact I would guess the Rocker was done in Garnet Shellac.
Ed