520 Upgrade

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dnbbeck
Bronze Member

520 Upgrade

Post by dnbbeck »

I am sorry if this has been covered before, but is the upgrade from the 510 to the 520 worth the money? I know everyone has their own opinion, but I sure would appreciate some feedback. I have considered this on and off for some time. I guess I am just not sure what all that money is really buying me.:confused:
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Man, it sure has been covered. Did you try a search? No matter how much people respond to this new thread you have created, there is a wealth of info already on this site that will help you.

Paul
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Here, I've done it for you:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ht=upgrade

There is no sense starting a new thread here because it makes it even harder for the next person. I'd suggest you ask questions in one of the existing threads.

Paul
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dnbbeck wrote:I am sorry if this has been covered before, but is the upgrade from the 510 to the 520 worth the money? I know everyone has their own opinion, but I sure would appreciate some feedback. I have considered this on and off for some time. I guess I am just not sure what all that money is really buying me.:confused:
Personally, I have struggled with this question for over 5 years. I've asked myself this question repeatedly. Especially when a good sale comes up.:confused:

Here's my conclusion: In the final analysis, it isn't the money - it's your/my desire to have the 520 upgrade more than an OPR or other shop expenditure, such as a couple of new hand planes, dust control improvements, a sand flea, more Forstner bits, a new shop heating system, lighting improvements, on and on....

If your present Mark V is working well for you - your decision is made easier - maybe. Those having a 520, swear by it. I have no doubt it is a great system. Do I have one? No! Will I have one? Maybe! The decision is really 1) need and 2) desire.

So, The question about the cost is really more involved than $ alone. The question really is - How much do I want/need it!:)

Now - a little philosophy:
When our ancestors had a need for a widget and had trouble making it - they sometimes envisioned a new tool that could do this job for them more efficiently. All they had to do now, is to manufacture a new tool, so they could make more widgets easier. The need for the new tool was driven by their need for the product (widgets).

What I have witnessed, is the reverse order of these needs, in many woodworkers. They get the tool first and there it sits until they figure out what they want use it for. I know of a local fellow that has many big, burly, powerful electric shop tools. He is almost constantly altering his power tools with larger motors and new parts. His project is his collecting and maintenance of his tools. He has yet to produce anything in his tool shop. He is too busy fixing tools. This is fine for him - it's his thing! But this is not my thing!

In my thinking - What you want to manufacture should determine the tools you need. Not the reverse! The fewer the tools, the better! Only purchase the tools that will allow you to do your projects with more ease and safety! Occasionally, I have rented tools that I need on a temporary basis, rather than purchase. On the other hand, if I need a new bit or a new tool to do a particular job- and can foresee a possible future use, I will buy it.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dnbbeck
Bronze Member

Post by dnbbeck »

Thanks everyone
dusty
Platinum Member

520 Upgrade

Post by dusty »

I'm curious. Did you get an answer to your question? Have you made your individual decision?

I buy tools when "I" believe I need them - for whatever reason! The only one that I ever have to answer to is my wife. Thank God, she is understanding and has a vice or two or her own (like sewing machines, art materials and paints).

You never said. What sort of condition is your 510 in and what accessories and SPT do you have for the Shopsmith?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I agree with Charlese. If what you are using is working ok for you why change. Someone once said "if you keep doing what your doing you will keep getting what your getting" that said if what your getting is what you want out of your ss then why change if not get the upgrade. I have wrestled with this upgrade for some time also. I have reasoned that I would like the opr first. I too know of someone who always is buying new tools and has a nice shop full but rarely is there any sawdust being made. I would love to go out and buy a new 520 and have two ss in my shop but I had two in there and it was cramped.:rolleyes:
dnbbeck
Bronze Member

Post by dnbbeck »

I am much like you guys Charlese and Scottss. I buy when I need to. I just found this forum and figured it would be a great time to talk to others who use the same equipment I do. I bought mine new in October 2001. I bought the anniversary edition with the bandsaw. It came supposedly "free" but was really buried in the price of a new purchase. I didn't have it long and I added the floating tables upgrade to make it a 510. So far it has done everything I have needed. It is a hassle sometimes changing set ups, but I figure if you are in that much of a hurry maybe woodworking isn't the hobby for you. I have also purchased a jointer and a planer. I bought stand alone(s) for these. My shop space is limited, that is what prompted me to go the shopsmith route to begin with. All in all I am relatively happy with what I've got. It would be nice to have a bigger table for the sawing operations. Well I guess I have rambled on long enough. I sure appreciate you guys taking the time to answer questions for someone you don't even know. Thanks and God Bless You.