Weekly Blog - October 28th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Another week with no hobby woodworking! The closest I got was reading my latest issue of Canadian Home Workshop magazine. Their fall issue always features gifts that can be made for under $50 and this one has added to my long list of projects I would like to make, from a really neat plant stand to wine stoppers to a table top tea-lite candle holder, etc. Of course I will never get them all done but I can dream.

The other WW activity was keeping up with this forum and I must say there is a lot to keep up with these days. Lots of creative juices flowing and informative discussions, and then of course there is Chalese's new avatar. Great scene! (unless it's the fires!)

On the renovation side, I finished the panelling and the dear wife did her painting thing. It looks better than I expected but only time will tell if the flaws will show as the house moves with the changes in temperature and humidity. Cutting the hardboard panels sure produced a lot of fine sawdust that had to be cleaned up. Also took the oportunity during clean-up to wax ALL the tables and tubes of the SS.

Finished taking down all the ceiling tiles in our den today. The tiles were easy, it was the over 600 globs of glue that were time consuming to remove. This was another dirty job that created loads of dirt and debris. However it's all cleaned up and ready for the contractors to come in and do their thing, and make more dust.

Maybe this coming week I can get back to making things.

Have fun!

John
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It seems this is not a week for woodworkers.

I had to install a new circulating pump on the swimming pool. Could not get an exact replacement so I had to repump the circulating system.

Got that done and began to wire in the pump. Three of the four circuit breakers related to the pool trip as soon as power is applied at the main breaker. Seems to be an under ground short in the home run from the pool area. Will have to dig that up to confirm and repair.

Ran a temporary line so that I can get the pool circulating and clean before I start to trench and rewire. Will test new pump for leaks tomorrow and try to get pool clean using temporary power.

No AC power to the wall outlets in the RV. That will become a priority. Can't go roughing without TV and stereo. All life sustaining functions work (AC, Refer, Furnace, Microwave, Range, Heat, Water, Sewer). I fear that pack rats have gotten into the rig. No physical signs (yet) but no explanation for loosing power to the outlets. (TV/Stereo work on separate power)

Don't have an AC wiring diagram for RV. Manufacturer won't provide one. Have to wing this with no diagrams. If I ever buy another RV, I will have diagrams before they have money - I could rant on this for hours but won't.

Can't start the RV generator - seems battery is too low to crank it. Put a charger on it. Came up to only 11.3 volts after 10 hours on the charger. Disconnected the charger - now checking to see if battery holds charge. Don't expect it to.

On a Thankful Note: My wife and I have our health and a wonderful family. The shop is clean and ready to start the push to Christmas. The Shopsmith has been serviced and resharpened blades have been returned from Forrest. Jointer and Planer blades were resharpened this week and reset. My wife has about half of her Christmas painting (gifts) done, the rest she says will be done before Thanksgiving. All is well. ;)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi! All said and done, it's been a pretty good week up in Lancaster. However, there is a sad note in the Area of So. Cal. We all feel for those who were displaced because of the fires, and especially for those who lost their homes. We all feel much gratitude and respect for the thousands of firefighters. They kept at it and are still at it tonight! After spending 35 yrs dealing with wildfires in Montana, I can honestly say these guys in CA are the best and most efficient that come along.

John mentioned my avatar. It is a photo, snapped one night last year at sundown. The view is out of my back yard looking West. Those are Joshua trees in the foreground.

Speaking about feelings, I feel for John and kinda know what he is going through with his re-model. Been there, John! It's a very special place that gets you frustrated during the process (When will this end?) - and makes you feel better when it's finished. (When it's finished!)

I also feel for the trials and frustrations of ED from Tampa in his finishing project! Ed, I chose not to participate in your thread, as all I could say is:
"I too have had similar frustrations matching, or trying to achieve, a color, but have had no experience with shellac."

Last week, I said I would post a photo of the finished salt and pepper mills. So the link is at the bottom of this post.

We were kinda smoked out Wed., Thurs. and Friday. Particulate level was really high enough to be dangerous - so it was mask time in the shop. Also sat inside for three mornings and watched the fire coverage on T.V. I learned why I'm not too hot on turning. (Apologies to you turners)

The turning requires sharp tools -that is the good part! It takes me more time to sharpen all tools than to make the turning. Turning a small thing like a pepper mill goes fast - too fast! - That's the bad part! Before you know it - you're finished! Now what to do? Turn another! Pretty soon I'm out of wood!

To me (as I don't have any turning techniques) the most interesting part of the pepper mills was boring the through hole - which isn't really all the way through. Gotta drill into the chuck and stop just before the bit extends into the part of the turning where the chuck is holding. Then the turning is sawn off through the last of the drilling. But this time I learned to apply the finish while on the lathe - before cutting off the chuck ring. (That makes things go even faster! Imagine! complaining about projects going too fast and then speeding up the finish:eek: )

Had time to make a box in a box. Idea from American Woodworker Magazine. Photo of the finished thing will be later when the Danish oil stain is cured. A photo of the beginnings of this 30 minute project is in post #6 in the thread Clamping under General Woodworking.
Attachments
HPIM1525.jpg
HPIM1525.jpg (123.98 KiB) Viewed 12688 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Beautiful salt and pepper mills, Chuck! What finish did you use? And did you do any buffing?

Thanks for the advice!

Gary
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Thanks Gary! I used Rockler "Wunder Cote Finish" A little spendy, but really works easily and dries fast! (Rockler's item no. 67790 - semi-gloss).

Yes I lathe buffed and hand rubbed after dry with a section of craft paper from a shopping bag. That's a trick learned in a carving class.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Thanks, Chuck, I was looking for a reason to stop at Rockler's. They have figured maple bowl blanks at 20% off right now, but I told myself I wasn't going to stop by unless there was something else I needed.:D

I've never taken any classes in finishing, nor seen any videos, so I've always been confused by the term "hand rubbed". Are you using light or heavy pressure, rubbing in the direction of the grain only, or what? Just a couple of seconds rubbing, or several minutes?

Any tips or pointers to reference materials on finishing (books, DVDs, etc.) are appreciated!

Gary
john
Platinum Member

Salt & Pepper Mills

Post by john »

Chuck:

Them's fine looking mills!

As mentioned in my blog, I added wine stoppers to my list of projects and I think I will buy a couple of stoppers and try my hand at making them. A chap I play hockey with gave me a bunch of short pieces of some type of wood last year and so far I haven't found a use for them. If I can produce something like your mills I will be happy.

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Gary - The application of "Wunder Cote" to the turnings was to pour the finish onto the piece, in a line along the turning axis, while holding a paper shop towel beneath the piece. Then quickly turned on and off the SS while set to slow. (less than a second) Turned on the SS again (this time for about 5 seconds) and made sure the piece was covered.

Hand rubbing, done by professionals, I understand, is an art unto itself. But this is not what I meant to say. The words I used --"hand rubbed" weren't meant as a "term" but merely as two English words. Sorry about any confusion! I held the craft paper, much as you would sand paper and spun the lathe at about "K". After doing this for about two or three minutes (you can tell by the look of the piece) - took it off of the lathe, and polished the piece - much like shining shoes.

Sorry Garry - I find I know very little about finishing. The more I read - the less I seem to know for certain. One of the problems I've had is to cover the "orangish" color. All of my previous attempts have been to cover it up with a secondary cherry or maple stain, with the secondary stain applied from a dampened rag. Now I read about a green stain that will neutralize the orange. I'll have to look into that.

John - Bottle stoppers seem like a nice turning project. Some folks have had trouble with short pieces like these, because the tool rest gets hung up on the tail piece support. At first, I thought I was going to have a problem like this with the mills. I found that 7" is about as short as I could go in order to "round" a piece. So- for bottle stoppers I would recommend turning a cylinder that is over 7" long before sawing off shorter cylinders.

If you will use a chuck for the shaping - Prior to cutting off the shorter pieces - make sure they will fit into your chuck. If they don't - or if you don't have a chuck - you can always use a face plate.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Chuck! Shining shoes, huh? I'm a "sneakers" kind of guy myself, but I think I still remember how to do that.

Actually, it occurs to me that right after I round the stock into a cylinder would be the perfect time to experiment with the finish used for that particular wood. If you don't like it, just sand (or turn) it smooth again and try again. After you decide on the finishing technique, then do ahead and turn the piece. Better than practicing on the final product!

Gary
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Odd-Jobs Blog

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

Just a couple of quick ones. I had a bunch of PVC tubes and joints doing nothing in the basement, so now they're storing my sanding disks!

I also made a basic Tissue Box, after seeing some last month in a Toledo Woodcraft store. Lowes' website had some template for an oval opening, but I made a "chevron" stepped opening instead. The maple was new but the walnut was on its 2nd or 3rd life (I got it from an old bookshelf which may have got it from somewhere else prior to that). All box opposite sides are resawn from each other, and the maple top is bookmatched as well.

Best Regards,
Chris
Shopsmith 510, Bandsaw, and other accessories
Attachments
Sanding Disks.jpg
Sanding Disks.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 12794 times
Tissue Box.jpg
Tissue Box.jpg (42.57 KiB) Viewed 12659 times