straighting an edge

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Also since the guided saw systems are designed for dust collection 90%+ of the dust generated by cutting is collected,

Ed
This has been an interesting thread, but I wasn't really convinced that the guided saw system might be a better way to straighten boards until I read the "dust collection" reason. Since nobody else has picked up on this point, I thought I would.

I won't be running out to buy one of these setups any time soon and if I have to straighten a board I will continue to do it the way I have in the past, but...if the day does ever come when I decide to change my ways I think the dust collection issue will have played an important role in that choice. Up to now, rippping sheet goods in the shop has meant turning on the air filter, opening the windows and door, putting on the dust mask and of course sweeping/vacuuming after the cuts. Picking up 90% of the dust during the operation seems like the biggest plus of all. Comparing the guided saw system to the straight edge or chalk line with circular saw method or the table saw method, I still don't see a lot of advantage in terms of safety and ease of use, but I sure see a big advantage if the Festool really captures that much dust.

Ed
Idaho Panhandle
MkV 505 DC 3300 bs jointer
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Shopnotes latest issue has an interesting setup for jointing an edge using the table saw. I was skeptical at first, but after reading the article I think it would be a useful tool, especially if you don't have a jointer. You'll have to have the edge fairly straight before using it, since it only takes off less than a saw blade width at a time.