Lathe chisel rack

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Just saw a simple, yet handy lathe tool holder idea in the new "Wood" magazine- issue 211, May 2012. Page 13 if you have a copy!

It is a box with an open front and the tools are held by a wood bar to hold the tools, handles up. The trick of this box is another "half box" (open bottom) on the back side. That half box is called a hook. The hook is sized to fit over the roller of an outfeed table stand. When tools are not being used they can be hung on a wall by putting the hook over a cleat.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

charlese wrote:Just saw a simple, yet handy lathe tool holder idea in the new "Wood" magazine- issue 211, May 2012. Page 13 if you have a copy!

You are fast my issue just showed up today and I had not opened it yet.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

pennview wrote:I use a simple tray with sides (like a shallow drawer) for holding the lathe tools while turning. There are two slats running across the tray on the underside, spaced to fit outside the way and bench tubes that keep the tray from sliding off of the Shopsmith while in use.

You can make it as wide as you like to hold your set of tools. It's similar to what Mike G mentioned, but designed to fit the Shopsmith. It doesn't have any dividers, but one could add them if desired.
Would you happen to have a copy of your plans I could use to build one?

BPR
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

I don't have plans for the tray, but here are a couple of photos that should help. The outside dimensions are 14" wide by 20" long by 2 3/4" high, but you can make it whatever size fits your lathe chisels. The two cross slats on the bottom of the tray are 11" apart so it will easily keep the tray on lower tubes as well as the way tubes. I used 3/4" birch plywood. The corners are mitered and the bottom is 1/4" plywood fit into a groove/dado about a 1/4" up from the bottom edge of the tray.

[ATTACH]18120[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18121[/ATTACH]
Attachments
ChiselTray-1.jpg
ChiselTray-1.jpg (126.71 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
ChiselTray-2.jpg
ChiselTray-2.jpg (148.61 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
Art in Western Pennsylvania
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

cincinnati wrote:Here is a photo of the magnetic tool rack I use for lathe tools.

[ATTACH]16571[/ATTACH]
I don't like the idea of using magnet bars - as an engraver, when I grind the gravers I don't want klingons. Same is true for chisel and gouges. Rather have a nice wooden rack. I just use my rollup tool holder of canvas from Woodcraft. That way I can grab and go to club meetings and Turn & Learns quickly.
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Look at the stand for the Delta Midi lathe. I really like that set up and have wondered about adapting it to hang from the bottom ways or a cart that could be rolled into poistion when turning. I have the wall rack set up which is good for storage, but I have no desire to reach over the lathe for tools so they end up on the ways or on my bandsaw (not a SS) which sits at a 90 degree angle to the SS.

I have a huge Nichols lathe coming with huge tools and will have to have some kind of cart to manage the tool storage. Some spouses give diamonds, roses, cars_mine insisted on a monster. We will see if it takes away from the SS on the small stuff.
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

cincinnati wrote:Here is a photo of the magnetic tool rack I use for lathe tools.

[ATTACH]16571[/ATTACH]

I vote for that system.

If it don't hold good enough add another magnet bar a couple inches below.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
brick1
Gold Member

Post by brick1 »

I made one like I saw on this forum, but cant remember how far back it was.....rides on the top way tube and sits against the bottom one. i dnot have a lot of tools so this one is just the right size...

I can provide more specifics if you like...

take care, bill

Brick1
Titusville, Florida
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Nice solution!

Specs/drawings please.

I like that one. While I have more tools, I don't use all of them at the same time. A nice holder for the tools I'm using at the tome would be great.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

I believe this is what brick 1 was referring to........

[ATTACH]18333[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18334[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Shopsmith Lathe Tool Holder 1.jpg
Shopsmith Lathe Tool Holder 1.jpg (82.02 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
Shopsmith Lathe Tool Holder 2.jpg
Shopsmith Lathe Tool Holder 2.jpg (73.49 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln