Lathe chisel rack

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Lathe chisel rack

Post by robinson46176 »

I'm back at looking at ideas for a lathe chisel rack this week. I did a Google image search and a lot of stuff came up.
I don't want to step on anybody's toes here so I will just say that we all do things differently and to each his own... A lot of what I saw I would not want in my shop at all even though it was nicely made. :eek:
One example I didn't like was:
[ATTACH]16556[/ATTACH]

Here was another nicely made one that I don't care for:
[ATTACH]16557[/ATTACH]

They remind me too much of this :eek: :
[ATTACH]16558[/ATTACH]

I do like this general concept but it looks too hard to get many of them out of the rack unless you grab them by the bleeding end of it. Maybe it would work well if the middle area was open and the dividers were only at the top and bottom...
I do know that I don't want something with sharp points sticking out all over like a porcupine. :rolleyes:
[ATTACH]16559[/ATTACH]

Attachments
temp turning_tools1.jpg
temp turning_tools1.jpg (20.12 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
temp lathe Tool Rack2.jpg
temp lathe Tool Rack2.jpg (23 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
temp knight-medieval-4.jpg
temp knight-medieval-4.jpg (75.43 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
temp lathe_tool rack3.jpg
temp lathe_tool rack3.jpg (39.86 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I like that last one too. What if you left the dividers from top to bottom, but instead of the back panel going all the way down, leave an area of 2 to 3 inches without the panel on the bottom and you could push the bottom of the chisel handle into the space behind it and you could "catch" the chisel as it "fell" toward you. You should still be able to grab the handle and not the blade. Another benefit wood be that no sawdust wood collect at the bottom of the chisel rack.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I agree, both of my racks have the points downward where the don't draw blood. Heck I can do that without even trying. My granddaughter who was in the shop at the time of the question of why I had first aid kits at both ends of the shop volunteered; Grandpa is an expert at bleeding. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

fjimp wrote:... My granddaughter who was in the shop at the time of the question of why I had first aid kits at both ends of the shop volunteered] Grandpa is an expert at bleeding.[/color] Jim

Very diplomatic of her...you must be proud!:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I started to use a magnetic bar tool holder. I have it mounted right on the wall next to my Shopsmith. I like it very well.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... JcBEPICMAQ
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
bffulgham
Gold Member

Possible solution using wire closet shelf

Post by bffulgham »

Another possibility might be to use wire closet shelf material from the big box stores..... a variation of what I use for screw driver storage
[ATTACH]16564[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16565[/ATTACH]

The small wires can be clipped out to make a slot as wide as you need. And you could put a shield to cover the sharp ends.

Another of my round-to-it projects is to use a small section of this stuff to build a chisel rack that would sit on the way tubes or bench tubes. An added benefit of this stuff is that chips and dust fall thru.
Attachments
IMG_0600.jpg
IMG_0600.jpg (42.73 KiB) Viewed 4510 times
IMG_0601.jpg
IMG_0601.jpg (38.21 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

How about smaller trays of say 5 or 6 chisels, these could even be stacked when not in use. I find I rarely use more than 3 or 4 types of chisels for any one turning project. Grab the tray with the chisels you need and head to the lathe.

I really like my set of 5 SS chisels I still have the original box they came in and that stores on a shelf under my SS. I may end up building a replacement box from some thin stock. The box is a bit tattered.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I guess you could drill access holes or even a slot wide enough for your finger in the bottom of the rack that you could poke your finger thru to lift the tool up and out :p
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Here is a photo of the magnetic tool rack I use for lathe tools.

[ATTACH]16571[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_0916_1.JPG
IMG_0916_1.JPG (537.32 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

I like it, does it hold that things that well, or do you have to stick em on there kinda-a careful like?
R Hart