Finishing a woodworking bench

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Majones1
Gold Member

Finishing a woodworking bench

Post by Majones1 »

Since I began my bench project I’ve been reading lots about building woodworking benches, including the different finishes people use. Not long after I began building the bench I was in my local hardwood store and picked up some ting oil, and that’s what I’ve been planning to use. Recently I’ve been reading about the benefits of adding beeswax to the tung oil to use on the bench top, primarily it makes the removal of dried glue easy. I expect that in a few years I will likely either build a new bench or replace the top on this one, primarily because of how the top on this one is built with screws that are not to far below the surface. Repeatedly sanding the top of this bench to resurface it will eventually expose those screws, so I’m thinking that delaying that as long as possible would probably be a good thing. I’m curious what you experienced woodworkers think about finishes on bench tops, should I do the beeswax trick?

I put my first scar in this bench top the other day when inwas drilling test dog holes in a 2x4. Although I did put a scrap of wood below the 2x4, it obviously wasn’t thick enough because I ended up with a 1/8” hole from the spade bit. I’m planning on just puttin a little wood filler into the hole, but I guess I could just drill a line of holes there along the front right side of my bench and say they were planned. :D
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Finishing a woodworking bench

Post by garys »

I wouldn't worry much about the first hole. If you use the bench hard like a bench is intended to use, it will more than likely get a lot more booboos soon. My bench is quite a few years old now, and it has scars to prove it. I don't care as long as it does a good job of being a "workbench".
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Yeah, Garys, I agree with you, I’m not really concerned with the hole, like you said, the bench is for working on. My only real question has to do with the finish on the bench top and if beeswax is worth considering.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Seems to depend upon how much glue you anticipate having to remove.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

linseed oil, Danish oil , Tung oil are all about the same and if rubbed in with enough coats and then waxed will leave you with a glossy and slick finish , something to think about if you dont want the work piece sliding around , . if you are concerned about damage you could all ways use a sacrificial piece under the project ? . I have seen old benches that were taken care of and would still look good in a dining room IMO and some new benches that were well worn in . its all in what you want to do with them and how much time money and effort that went in to it and what you want out of it . my .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Just to offer another viewpoint...why even put finish on it at all? Okay, so there are LOTS of different opinions on workbenches, how to construct them, how to use them, etc., etc. It is actually easy to get into analysis-paralysis when setting out to design/build a new workbench. Finish is intended to protect the wood and/or to give a certain appearance. Oil finishes offer some protection but have to be re-applied often, particularly in dry climates like where I live. The traditional workbench finish, I believe, is BLO (boiled linseed oil) and has been used on workbenches for hundreds of years if my recollection of history is correct. Some more modern woodworkers choose a blend of BLO with poly or some other variation. Unless you intend on getting your workbench top wet, I would argue that it doesn't need finish on it. I built a similar, though a bit simpler workbench to yours many years ago and used it for a decade before I sold the house and left it for the new owners. I never finished it and would simply wipe any glue that got on it off. Never needed to redo the top in 10 years of use. This brings up a key point that I want to make. I believe there are two kinds of workbenches...the pragmatic ones like you built that you can hammer on and not worry about dents, glue drips, paint, etc. In the worst case, if it gets too beat up, you can always replace just the top and have a brand new bench again. Another option is when the top gets particularly beat up is to sand, fill and paint it. The second type of workbenches are the pretty ones, i.e. when someone painstakingly builds for example a Roubo style workbench and wants to protect and use it for one or more generations. The latter are the types of workbenches where I think a finish is important to protect a workbench top, but then again those typically have very thick tops and could just be sanded/planed down to reveal a new surface. So perhaps they are even more robust and you could argue they don't need finish either, except for aesthetics. My vote is just use it and enjoy it - no finish needed.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Thank you all for your experienced thoughts. They have helped me focus my own thoughts that I’ve had over the past month as I’ve been building this thing. I definitely don’t want my projects to slip around on a finish, and I forgot that I had already planned for putting something down under the work for any glue drips, so there’s little need to worry much about that. Being inexperienced, I haven’t been able to pull the priorities together as succinctly as you all have done, but reading your thoughts has helped me decide that there is no real need for a finish. I too live in an environment where it doesn’t get too humid plus the temperature here in San Diego is generally fairly constant. And while I would like it to look nice, I’m not a fan of shiny benches, I’ll just be happy if it holds my wood securely and doesn’t shake or move around while I work.

While there are a few little final touches I want to do before I call it completed, the only real thing that needs to be done before returning to my initial project is secure the protective wood blocks to the jaws of front vice, after drilling three dog holes into the outer block. I will drill and install those tomorrow, and will then return to the project I was doing before I got distracted by this bench and setting up my “new” ShopSmith. That was only a two month detour.

Here are a couple of photos of it at this stage.

Thanks again.
Bench & ShopSmith 10ER
Bench & ShopSmith 10ER
C07A7A6F-24A8-4143-99A3-FCDBE49C8A2F.jpeg (347.76 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
Bench photo 2
Bench photo 2
8BEC722F-4422-45D1-BC14-8EF12B95FF84.jpeg (322.71 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
Bench photo 3, top
Bench photo 3, top
5FCA7AF1-8ABB-4050-94BD-39F5F5B040B0.jpeg (303.12 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
Marc Jones

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

By your description of use maybe just a coat of minwax satin stain would be good, my first bench was used for everything from rebuilding carburetors and starters to wood working , electrical and everything else , if I was doing anything oily or greasy I would just put down a scrap piece of plywood that I could toss when it was worn out , but with the prices of plywood now I no longer call them scraps lol , for drilling holes using a power saw a good a clamp and drilling / cutting or raising the boards off the surface works most of the time .
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Go ahead Marc..... do the right half with the oil finish and leave the left side natural. You'll have the best of both worlds! :)

My choice for what is worth, apply a nice oil finish for looks. Yeah, I'm a cosmetic kinda guy as you veterans here know.

Interested in opinions on a stain only???
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Golden Oak ?