Making a flute?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Making a flute?

Post by rpd »

HopefulSSer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:08 am I'm thinking about turning a flute but I don't know how I would go about boring it out. I've seen videos of flute-making on ordinary lathes where a hollow tailstock was used but that doesn't seem to be an option with SS.

How would you approach it?

Thanks!
So, for smaller diameter bits, the lamp drill that Ed (reible) recently posted would work.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26996

To do something like the setup in this video, I think you could make something that would sit in, or clamp to, the tailstock in place of the #2MT eccentric.

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks Ron! I like the copper pipe tail piece used in that video to guide the auger bits. Neat idea.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Interesting! That looks quite doable. Thanks!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Hi, OP here. I was kinda looking for how to do it with my Shopsmith, given that this is the Shopsmith forum.

Sorry to be mistrustful, but first-time poster resurrecting an old thread. Hmm. Do I smell processed meat?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Yup! Already on my watch list. Almost a universal SPAMER ploy. They all resurrect a years old post. Don't know why but that is a red flag when that is the first post.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

May become spam (eventually) and fer sure bears watching.

And another 'indicator' is weird comments.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

It became SPAM today. He added the link on 7 Aug. Reported.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

HopefulSSer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:48 pm Cheers for the info! Ahead of you on the face shield! :) Right now I'm using the tools that came with the machine -- a set of old Craftsman turning tools (two sizes of spindle gouges, one or two skew chisels, and a parting tool) and a couple other random ones. They of course needed the rust cleaned off and sharpened but that's not an issue. I've used carbide cutters on metal lathes but not on a hand-held tool. (Though I've seen them used on PBS shows). Certainly something to consider. And I'm not against learning new skills so being able to use both wouldn't be the worst thing....

I'm waiting on some centers now (in addition to the replacement gilmer belt). With the machine I got a live tail center (frozen), a screw center (I used this for the peppermill knob), a Jacobs chuck (less key), and a router chuck. Not the most versatile kit. I have a feeling this machine might exacerbate my TAS (Tool Acquisition Syndrome) ;)
Not to further exacerbate your TAS, but there's whole different way that you could tackle the boring part of the operation. It may or may not be cosmetically acceptable, but it's pretty foolproof.

Starting with a rectangular blank, rip it in two lengthwise in table-saw mode. Now, chuck up a core box router bit in your Shopsmith (or better yet a router table, if you have one). Machine matching semicircular grooves lengthwise along the inner surfaces, and then glue the workpiece back together in its original alignment. Done that way, the stock itself is the only length limitation on the bore, and you don't have to worry about drill-bit drift causing a step in the middle of the bore. The downside, of course, is that you'll have a couple of seams on the outside of your flute. But if you use a fine-grained wood and a thin-kerf saw blade, they may not be very noticeable.

While the glue is still wet, and the workpece in clamps, I'd push a damp wad through the bore to clean out the wet glue, like cleaning a gun barrel. When the glue is dry, I'd turn it between conical centers, just as you suggest. If you have a chuck, you could turn just one end between centers, and then chuck on that end to get more torque to the workpiece.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

jsburger wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:20 pm It became SPAM today. He added the link on 7 Aug. Reported.
Surprise, surprise! ;-) Thanks for catching & reporting. I knew it was coming!
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:52 pm Not to further exacerbate your TAS, but there's whole different way that you could tackle the boring part of the operation. It may or may not be cosmetically acceptable, but it's pretty foolproof.

Starting with a rectangular blank, rip it in two lengthwise in table-saw mode. Now, chuck up a core box router bit in your Shopsmith (or better yet a router table, if you have one). Machine matching semicircular grooves lengthwise along the inner surfaces, and then glue the workpiece back together in its original alignment. Done that way, the stock itself is the only length limitation on the bore, and you don't have to worry about drill-bit drift causing a step in the middle of the bore. The downside, of course, is that you'll have a couple of seams on the outside of your flute. But if you use a fine-grained wood and a thin-kerf saw blade, they may not be very noticeable.

While the glue is still wet, and the workpece in clamps, I'd push a damp wad through the bore to clean out the wet glue, like cleaning a gun barrel. When the glue is dry, I'd turn it between conical centers, just as you suggest. If you have a chuck, you could turn just one end between centers, and then chuck on that end to get more torque to the workpiece.
Interesting ideas! Thanks!