Foot activated ON/OFF switch - Good idea or safety hazard?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

Re: Foot activated ON/OFF switch - Good idea or safety hazard?

Post by tfrayne »

Yes, this looks to be the same one in as in the link you provided. Thanks!
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Yours is the same one I have. Do note the rating for the switch. Give it a try with the Dust Collector and see if you like it.

Shopsmith also sells a wireless remote On/Off Switch that I haven't tried since I already have the other one.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... switch.htm
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It's a reasonable means of controlling a dust collector. I have a press and release type foot pedal that I could use with a scroll saw, it came with an old polishing machine. The switch on/switch off type you have has fewer practical uses on the Shopsmith itself. I would say in general that you shouldn't use a foot pedal unless you are seated because when your hands are too busy to flip a switch you shouldn't be left balancing on one foot in front of a dangerous machine.

As for a foot operated stop switch, just make sure you can't step on it by accident causing the need to use it.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Just tossing this out there , wouldnt it work on a power station with the jig saw / band saw or sanding disc ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Above, I suggested use of an emergency stop button. Let me clarify this: such e-stop buttons are for OFF only. NOT like an on/off foot switch. The operator would still turn the headstock ON and OFF with the toggle switch, but if/when the e-stop button is hit, it would OVERRIDE the toggle switch and turn the machine OFF. And keep it OFF until reset. The e-stop button could not turn the machine back ON. That is how they work on industrial machines.

More wiring required, but I think it would be a significant safety device to incorporate. Or at least they could spec and schematic such a device so we could add it ourselves.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I used to use the SS momentary foot switch on my MK V all the time when making repeated cuts or sneaking up on cuts for things like picture frames. For precise fitting cuts I always cut long and then sneak up on the fit. Cut, fit, cut, fit, etc.. The momentary foot switch is great so you don't leave the saw running between cuts while checking the fit.

I only connected it when needed and always turned off the head stock switch when leaving the machine for a long time with the foot switch connected.

Electrically it works fine. However, when I got my Power Pro it is no longer useful. :( It now is used with the conventional head stock shorty. The shorty is mostly used as a sanding station. We also have a momentary foot switch on my wife's SS stand alone scroll saw. I can't imagine using a scroll saw without a foot switch.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm We also have a momentary foot switch on my wife's SS stand alone scroll saw. I can't imagine using a scroll saw without a foot switch.
That's why I refurbed the one I had sitting on the shelf: viewtopic.php?p=281260#p281260

Ancient, needed cleaning, patching, and an upgrade to 3 prong plug, but it also provides variable speed for the proper motors. The scroll saw is made with simple voltage adjusted speed so with it set on the max I can get a little control from the pedal. It's more like high, medium, and low even though it has more contacts on the pedal but so far I've only used it as a simple hold down switch. I suppose an experience scroll sawyer could make good use of foot pedal controlled variable speed.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have an normal off step on version from another company. I have used it for scroll saw work up until the powerpro it was great. I also use it for router operations and now it is simi-permanent attached to my OPR, but not in normal operation.

Some operations lend themselves to having this function but many more do not. It has a dangerous potential to accidentally turn on a machine when you are not expecting it so if you use it be very very cautious.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

I probably won’t use the foot pedal for the dust collector either. However, a remote sounds like a great idea. I did mount one for an air mover I put high on a shelf to allow air movement in the shop. I mounted the fob on the wall next to the light switch and it works fine. I think I got it for about $20 at Lowes or HD.

For dust collection I can “mount” it on the headstock. I’ve seen that before on some YT videos. That seems easier to me and avoids a cord on the floor of the shop.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

That would be my reasoning for going to a remote switch for the Dust Collection as opposed to using the Foot Switch I already have. Maybe one of these days I'll "switch". :D
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.