Suggestions to remove a stuck chuck?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Congratulations! I was hoping to hear good news really soon. Now it will be interesting to hear about what you find in terms of the condition of the shaft and the inside of the chuck.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This has been quite the adventure!

When looking for a burr you can use a cotton swab (q-tip) and drag it along the parts, back and forth motion, if/when a burr is present the swab will catch it.

It might be the shaft or it might be in the drill chuck, got to look both places.

Make sure both parts get cleaned up and checked before you put it back together we don't want a second chapter of stuck chuck.

Ed
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

JPG40504 wrote:This is a Greenie!(or a later Goldie[Gilmer]

It has a jacobs chuck with NO through hole.

Is a greenie Jacobs chuck different than the one dusty posted pictures of? I think I'm missing something.:confused:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

joshh wrote:Is a greenie Jacobs chuck different than the one dusty posted pictures of? I think I'm missing something.:confused:
I don't think that question can be answered. The original chuck that was issued with a Greenie might be different but the chuck that is with any given Greenie today may not be that same chuck. If I gave you the chuck that I made the image from and you put it on your Greenie, it would not be different.:eek:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

joshh wrote:Is a greenie Jacobs chuck different than the one dusty posted pictures of? I think I'm missing something.:confused:
JPG40504 wrote:This is a Greenie!(or a later Goldie[Gilmer]

It has a jacobs chuck with NO through hole.
I was looking at the last picture dusty posted and wasn't really reading / comprehending what JPG had said. Never mind :D
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

lo Ed,

Yeah… I used a magnifier and a couple of Q-tip to check and clean the chuck.
Indeed, there was a barely perceptible nick at the part of the shaft where the chuck seemed to want to stay after having been moved a few mms.

I’ll take a little time to carefully smooth that down before reconnecting the chuck.

In the meantime, since I’m waiting for parts and manuals to arrive anyway, I’ve returned my attentions back to working on the carpenter’s bench.

It felt good to finally get past this chuck thing, but replacement of the poly-v belt lay ahead. Something that I expect may prove far more difficult to deal with, but dealt with it shall be.
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

Alrighty then,

After some cleaning, measuring, comparisons and close eye-ballin’ it’s pretty clear that the problem was a burr caused by the set screw, either placed incorrectly to begin with, or twisted to the right of the flat later, being the cause of the burr that was keeping the chuck from freeing itself.

The original position of the set screw when I first encountered the problem and the location of the set screw hole, horizontally and vertically to the shaft, places it precisely in line with the scratch on the spindle.

Also, based on the amount of dirty liquid I found inside the chuck, it was probably on the spindle for a long time.

Otherwise the spindle and chuck are both in good condition. A little smoothing and proper oiling to the spindle along with careful placement and tightening of the set screw to the flat should help to avoid any chance of them getting stuck in the future.
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

Alrighty then,

After some cleaning, measuring, comparisons and close eye-ballin’ it’s pretty clear that the problem was a burr caused by the set screw, either placed incorrectly to begin with, or twisted to the right of the flat later, being the cause of the burr that was keeping the chuck from freeing itself.

The original position of the set screw when I first encountered the problem and the location of the set screw hole, horizontally and vertically to the spindle, places the set screw precisely in line with the scratch on the spindle.

Also, based on the amount of dirty liquid I found inside the chuck, it was probably on the spindle for a long time.

Otherwise the spindle and chuck are both in good condition. A little smoothing and proper oiling to the spindle along with careful placement and tightening of the set screw to the flat should help to avoid any chance of them getting stuck in the future.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

idcook wrote:Alrighty then,

The original position of the set screw when I first encountered the problem and the location of the set screw hole, horizontally and vertically to the spindle, places the set screw precisely in line with the scratch on the spindle.

BTW The set screw should not have a cupped end, but rather it should be 'flat'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A head start would be to get the main shaft so it is easily removable. Eccentric also.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange