Suggestions to remove a stuck chuck?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

idcook wrote:lo Ed,

Yeah… I used a magnifier and a couple of Q-tip to check and clean the chuck.
Indeed, there was a barely perceptible nick at the part of the shaft where the chuck seemed to want to stay after having been moved a few mms.

I’ll take a little time to carefully smooth that down before reconnecting the chuck.

In the meantime, since I’m waiting for parts and manuals to arrive anyway, I’ve returned my attentions back to working on the carpenter’s bench.

It felt good to finally get past this chuck thing, but replacement of the poly-v belt lay ahead. Something that I expect may prove far more difficult to deal with, but dealt with it shall be.
I'se confused - I thought it had a 'Gilmer'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

JPG40504 wrote:I'se confused - I thought it had a 'Gilmer'.

Yes, it is a Gilmer belt. When I first started looking I would see pictures of both and thought they were both called "Poly V" with one being further designated as "Gilmer." So, though I still use the names interchangeably, I know that the correct belt for this machine is the Gilmer.
richardrouse
Gold Member

Re: Suggestions to remove a stuck chuck?

Post by richardrouse »

I had a similar problem. There is a post by a member named Everett. He recommended a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid. I removed the quill and soaked in that overnight. Then was able to pry the chuck off.

I do hear an audible pop when I place the drill chuck on the shaft and pull it off.

I'm soaking my drill chuck, live center, and router chuck in deruster before reattaching anything. All components on my machine have some degree of patina on them. ..
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

That "pop" is normal and indicates a proper tolerance and fit.
Bill V
sccacinstructor
Bronze Member

Re: Suggestions to remove a stuck chuck or drive center

Post by sccacinstructor »

This is a thank you for the discussion. I was using the lathe and was afraid I had welded the drive center to the shaft. I found the set screw on the floor as I was cleaning up and the drive center had been turning the wood I was working on even though the set screw was gone. When I tried to remove the drive center it wouldn't come off. I have galled a large adjusting screw at work (many years ago) so badly that the die it was part of had to be cut apart. I was afraid I had done that to my Shopsmith!

Fortunately, an internet search found this thread. I saw the suggestion to use something, such as a penetrating oil, tapping, and some properly applied torque to get it free. I put WD40 in the set screw hole and left it for 8 hours, then added more and gently tapped it with a small hammer. I clamped vice grips on the drive center and LARGE adjustable pliers on the other end of the shaft and twisted. It moved quite easily and I was able to pull it off. I could see no evidence of galling and, with an extra spray of WD40 for good measure, I slipped it back on easily and this time tightened the set screw really well. I finished the turning project with no further problems.

I can't express how happy I am that I got it off. If it hadn't come off, I couldn't see anyway to get at the snap ring to remove the shaft from the quill. I feared I would have to replace the whole quill, if it could even be replaced.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

sccacinstructor,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. Glad you found something helpful here to solve your problem. If it had been more of a problem and a replacement Quill was needed it can be replaced. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.