What is this?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

timster68
Gold Member

What is this?

Post by timster68 »

I've seen this on other Shopsmiths, but mine doesn't seem to have it. What is it and used for and is there a part number for it. It's a plastic ring of sorts that sits next to the head stock.

I grabbed the picture from a Craigs list ad which had a relatively clear picture of what I'm talking about.

Thanks.
Attachments
WhatIsThis.jpg
WhatIsThis.jpg (11.24 KiB) Viewed 12141 times
dusty
Platinum Member

What is this?

Post by dusty »

It is a rubber like ring on mine. It may well be different materials on machines of different age.

It serves the function of spacing between the carriage and the headstock. If you push the carriage as far as you can toward the headstock, you'll find that the limiting factor is that ring.

Now, with a standard saw arbor and blade installed when you lower the table it will come down with the blade near center in the table top cutout.

It's a coarse adjustment of blade position, so to speak. I don't rely on it for critical measurements but I do believe mine hasn't changed much in twenty years.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I don't remember why but I had to cut mine to get things to fit. It also help the headstock from banging into other parts.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

You can live without the part but it is cheap to replace and all you will need to know is if you have a 500 or the 505/510/520. The length is different between the two. If you have a machine from old days I think they had some sort of screw stop... someone who knows more on this can help you if that is the case.

It is called a carriage stop ring and the part number is 516667 for the 505/510/520 and 504165 for the 500. (You have to find them by looking at the carriage assembly parts lists.)

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chettrick
Gold Member

Post by chettrick »

This came up a couple of months ago. You can probably search it with the right wording and get a lot more info. It is a spacer to allow the carriage to stop against the headstock and allow your saw blade to align with the slot like Dusty said.

Of course if you want to turn something fairly flat, the quill does not extend far enough to reach when you put on the lift assist.

I think that is why I cut mine off but saved it like the pack rat I am. So I still have it in the drawer.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

reible wrote:Hi,

You can live without the part but it is cheap to replace and all you will need to know is if you have a 500 or the 505/510/520. The length is different between the two. If you have a machine from old days I think they had some sort of screw stop... someone who knows more on this can help you if that is the case.

It is called a carriage stop ring and the part number is 516667 for the 505/510/520 and 504165 for the 500. (You have to find them by looking at the carriage assembly parts lists.)

Ed

I don't remember putting a different one on when I upgraded my 500 to a 510, but that was a long time ago so I could have forgotten. The one I have seems to be the right one, though.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

timster68 wrote:I've seen this on other Shopsmiths, but mine doesn't seem to have it. What is it and used for and is there a part number for it. It's a plastic ring of sorts that sits next to the head stock...."
Thanks.
Hi Tim! I cut my original off thinking it was some type of packing. Went without one for years, but then after finding out what it was, I bought one and installed it. This stop ring would have saved my first panel sled from getting sniped away through use.

When turning something small, I cut this one off slicing a straight line across the part. Now it is installed again. I just wrapped electrician's tape around the ring (one wrap) and it both works and looks like new, except it is convertible - off or on in a snap (single slice through the tape).
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

Great info. Thanks. The part is $1.69 so I guess I'll wait until I buy something else.

It would be nice if the S/H was a little more reflective of the size & weight of the item. I know a lot of web companies just charge the S/H based on the ranges of what the item costs.

But I think eBay is potentially the worst - a lot of sellers have overly inflated shipping.

But on the plus side, the cost of stamps is going up again....
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

My old SS a 55/56 had the adjustment screw until I forgot to tighten the headstock when I lifted it to vertical and the headstock slammed into the carriage and cracked the carriage. When I replaced the carriage I put the new style rubber spacer on so I wouldn't crack another carriage.
Jim in Tucson
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Jim and All;
Now you know the secondary reason for the rubber ring. It also prevents metal to metal contact. If anyone does not have one you should put one on.
A piece of PVC pipe of the proper diameter would also do the trick if the rubber one becomes unavailable.
Bill