Making a CD spinning top

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rflaherty
Silver Member

Making a CD spinning top

Post by rflaherty »

[ATTACH]15[/ATTACH]

I made this spinning top for my young friend, Kendall, using an old CD. When the top spins, it catches light with a rainbow effect, and it can spin for nearly a minute. This is very easy to make and is a great project for beginning woodturners. The top consists of four parts: the body, the CD, the handle and the pull string. I have attached some typical measurements: [ATTACH]16[/ATTACH] Here are some tips:

Making the body: I turn this on the lathe, out of whatever wood is handy (I used poplar for the top in the photo). Turning it between centers, like a typical spindle, works well. With softer woods, like poplar and soft pine, I don’t trust the shaft (opposite the lower pointy part) not to break , so I turned the lower part like a bottle stopper, then glued a 3/8” dowel into the lower part to make the shaft. That may be too paranoid…try it either way. Finish it your favorite way. I finished this one by applying a couple of coats of Ace High Gloss Tung Oil Finish as a friction polish, waiting 30 minutes between coats.

The CD: Any old CD or DVD will work (I personally think any rap music CD is fair game, like the one that the kid down the street plays at full volume as he drives by). New blank CDs are often free (with a rebate) at Staples, Office Depot, etc. Glue it to the platform of the body using Goop or a similar glue.

The handle: I drill the holes first, then turn the handle on the lathe between centers, like a spindle, from a piece of inexpensive white wood 2x2 (pine, fir, etc.). Take it gently when you turn the shoulders. Finish it similarly.

The pull string: I use a piece of 3/8” dowel, finished similarly, and about 12-18” of whatever string is available. Insert the end of the string in the hole on the shaft, wind up the string, then pull.

Have fun!
--Dr. Bob
Attachments
Top view small.jpg
Top view small.jpg (61.28 KiB) Viewed 21299 times
Top & handle small.jpg
Top & handle small.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 22109 times
CD spinning top specs.doc
(181.5 KiB) Downloaded 3150 times
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
That's cool. Our local woodworking club makes toys for Christmas and this would be a great addition. I assume the plans are free to pass around?

Bruce
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Thanks! I'm off to the lathe!
rflaherty
Silver Member

Post by rflaherty »

batg4 wrote:Bob,
That's cool. Our local woodworking club makes toys for Christmas and this would be a great addition. I assume the plans are free to pass around?

Bruce
I am glad you like it, Bruce. Yes, feel free to share the plans with anyone.

I made another top this weekend and used two CDs glued together. It seems much stronger, and the increased mass seems to make it spin longer.

--Bob
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I've made several of these and they really spin and spin and spin.

My wife gave me a mini lathe for a birthday present (so I could keep the SS set up in saw mode making furniture for her while I can still turn bowls, etc. for a break.) The top was a great project to use to try it out.

My intent was to give the tops to grandchildern, but I'm having so much fun that I haven't delivered them yet.
twig/al
Gold Member

Post by twig/al »

rflaherty, That is a neat idea!! Kids will love it and I have been looking for something to do with a bunch of Cd's!! Thanks for the idea!!!
Having too much fun in Alabama!!!
510 owner/user since 1996.