Mark VII as a router table

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

harveydunn
Gold Member

Mark VII as a router table

Post by harveydunn »

Can the Mark 7 function as a router and router table? And does it do it well? When I think of "router table" I think of the router being underneath; if it is overhead I guess that is fine, too - so long as it works!

Also, can the Incra LS fence for the table saw be used for the "router table" as well?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="harveydunn"]Can the Mark 7 function as a router and router table? And does it do it well? When I think of "router table" I think of the router being underneath]

Are you inquiring about a 50's Mark VII, or a more recent Mark 7?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
harveydunn
Gold Member

Post by harveydunn »

New Mark 7.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

harveydunn wrote:New Mark 7.
Under table routing is one if the '2' functions added to go from '5' functions to '7'.;) Realize the max rpm is 10k rpm.

That said, a router can be mounted beneath a 505-20 table with some modifying.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
harveydunn
Gold Member

Post by harveydunn »

Thanks. Has anyone tried it and does it work well enough that you don't need a dedicated router table?

What is the 7th function you allude to?

Does anyone know if the Incra LS fence for the table saw can be used for the router table as well?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

harveydunn wrote:Thanks. Has anyone tried it and does it work well enough that you don't need a dedicated router table?

What is the 7th function you allude to?

Does anyone know if the Incra LS fence for the table saw can be used for the router table as well?

http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/index.htm

The Mark 7 adds UNDER table routing and shaping.

The original Mark VII added under table rout/shape and a built in DC.

P.S. Both have double tilt and forward/reverse moter direction.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

harveydunn
Gold Member

Post by harveydunn »

So "shaping" is the 7th function?

What's the difference between routing and shaping?
P.S. Both have double tilt and forward/reverse moter direction.
Can you explain what the benefits of those features are?
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

harveydunn wrote:So "shaping" is the 7th function?

What's the difference between routing and shaping?

Can you explain what the benefits of those features are?
There is a live demo today and tomorrow at

Lowe's of E Albuquerque NM
3010 Juan Tabo Blvd NE
Albuquerque , NM

you might want to attend.
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
harveydunn
Gold Member

Post by harveydunn »

I went yesterday. It was a complete waste of my time. The presenter was terrible, and had zero interest in answering the questions of someone who doesn't already own a ShopSmith.
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

harveydunn wrote:I went yesterday. It was a complete waste of my time. The presenter was terrible, and had zero interest in answering the questions of someone who doesn't already own a ShopSmith.
You are nicer than I am. I would have hung around until he either answered my questions or told me to get lost. Then I would have called SS Customer Service and told them how I was treated.
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!