lathe elevation

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Tools were designed to be modified to fit the user!
As long as the modifications don't adversely affect safety!
twig/al
Gold Member

Post by twig/al »

deanthom, Do you remember the post on one of the old shopsmith forums, where the guy made a steel plate that bolted into the holes on the frame.. The the same hole into the top of the plate and reinstalled the bed and frame rails. I think he had raised his either four or six inches, and said it was still stable. I just can;t remember which forum it was on!!! I guess the ol' timers has got me!!! lol...
Having too much fun in Alabama!!!
510 owner/user since 1996.
hindsj
Bronze Member

Elevation

Post by hindsj »

I have my SS elevated on 9" plywood boxes. The boxes have lifting levers inside which extend and retact 4 castors. With the castors extended the SS is only lifted 1/2" off the floor. Retracted the unit is very stable. I am 6'4" tall so the 9 " brings the lathe to a comfortable altitude and visibility is increased on the bandsaw and other operations. I agree that the idea solution would be longer factory legs but in the mean time my boxes are saving my back and making the SS a lot more fun to use.

Jim
rubberneck
Gold Member

Post by rubberneck »

I too made a set of boxes to raise my Mark V some 7" for turning. In fact I usually leave it on the boxes. But its no big deal to take the Shopsmith off the box. Slide the headstock to one end and at the opposite end just lift her up one handed to place or remove. Move the headstock to the other end and repeat. I've had 2 back operations years ago and have no trouble doing this. You will be surprised how light the shopsmith really is with the headstock at the opposite end.
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

Yes, I remember the post, but also don't remember from where. I also remembered thinking that it was way too extreme for those of us who use the Shopsmith for more than lathework. With the blocks or boxes, you can kick them out easily enough and get it back to original size.

What I need to buy is a Motorcycle hoist so that I can lift it up to Goldilocks height...JUUUUUUUUUUST right.

The other question that we never seemed to have addressed for the guy who asked it in the first place is what about something to improve stability.

The best and cheapest solutions to help with excessive vibration are two:

First, make sure that the machine is stable and that the live or dead center and center of the spur drive are absolutely aligned. Make sure that your quill bearings are in good condition.

Second, buy a couple of tubes of sand from your favorite box store and install them on top of the way tubes. I found that it was better there than on the bench tubes. Kept what I was working on from bothering the way tubes as well as the bench tubes when the sand is on top.:D
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander