lathe elevation

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

greitz
Gold Member

lathe elevation

Post by greitz »

I'm finding that the Shopsmith is a bit short for me in lathe mode. At least my back thinks so, or maybe it's just a lack of proper technique.:D Anyway, has anyone put his/her Shopsmith up on blocks? Did you bolt the blocks to the floor? Any special techniques for minimizing vibration? Thanks for the help!

Gary
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I have heard of people elevating the SS for lathe operations. Personally, unless you plan to use it exclusively as a lathe, I wouldn't do it. But that's just me. Have you considered getting an adjustable stool? I don't see why you couldn't do most everything sitting down that you do standing up. Has anyone tried it?
Another option would be to build an elevated platform for the SS with a removable insert in front that would be removed when using the lathe mode and replaced when using other modes. It would have to be a sturdy platform to keep everything stable and in alignment, but I would think it could be done. I'm 6'2" myself and can empathize with your back. :) If I had the space, I'd consider the platform myself. It seems you could build the base with 2x6's on edge, like a wall lying down, say 12 inches apart with "cross studs" every 12 inches to make a checkerboard like base, then top it with 3/4 sub-floor grade plywood (maybe even two layers). Build a section of the base in front of the SS as a separate unit that can be removed for lathe work. This would effectively raise the SS 6 inches for us tall guys.

Bruce
rflaherty
Silver Member

Elevating lathe

Post by rflaherty »

I was thinking about the same thing a couple of weeks ago, Gary. At the Shopsmith Traveling Academy, the instructor suggested putting a length of 4x4 under each leg. I haven't tried that yet because then you could no longer use the retractable casters, which I find useful. I wrote Bob Folkerth and suggested Shopsmith offer replacement legs that were 4-6" higher than the original legs, but haven't heard back yet on the feasibility of that. I am thinking about building some kind of extension to the legs (either at the top of the legs or at the bottom of the legs) that would raise the entire machine but allow me to re-attach the retractable casters. Perhaps a U-shaped affair made from 3/4" plywood with cross-bracing would work. If you do elevate the machine, you might want to add some "outriggers" since you are raising the center of gravity of the machine which might make it tippy. Please let us know if you come up with any good ideas.

--Bob
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Folks, I put my Shopsmith up on 4x4 blocks for lathe work. The late Rudy Osolnik, professor of woodworking at Berea College and a nationally renowned turner, put all 3 of his Shopsmiths on blocks. Jim McCann, our plant engineer and a master craftsman whose work has been published in dozens of books, including FW's Design Books, puts his up on blocks. It's a good solution.

With all good wishes,
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Elevated Lathe

Post by tchwrtr55 »

Question: Is it not safer having wood spinning as low as possible (as low as an aching back will allow) than closer to your head? Just wondering.
Mark
greitz
Gold Member

lathe on 4x4's

Post by greitz »

I tried elevating the lathe on 4x4 blocks last weekend, and it's much better. Thanks for the help! On the other hand, now I don't have an excuse why the turnings don't turn out the way I think they should....

-Gary
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Now that you have it up on blocks, have fun cutting that plywood with the table saw! :)
greitz
Gold Member

4x4's, continued

Post by greitz »

Oh, well, I promised SWMBO that I'd actually put the new car in the garage every night, so I have to move the Shopsmith out of the corner every time I want to use it anyway. So I'll get lots of practice lifting it up on 4x4's.

Nick, if you guys want to make a "Lathe Lift-assist", I'll probably be your first customer.
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

SWMBO? She who must be obeyed? I have one of those too!
deanthom
Gold Member

Lathe on stilts & getting your "reps" in

Post by deanthom »

You betcha! Get that puppy up as high as you need to to save your back. I actually used several chunks of 2x8 bolted together with "wings" in the back to help with stability.

And hefting the machine up and down and up and down and up and down will save you a trip to the gym!

Mark, I promise you, that if you do the research (please DON'T!!), the difference of 4" or 8" closer or farther away won't matter a lick if that chunk-o-wood decides to disengage from the machine! If it's gonna find you, it'll just find you a nanosecond sooner!

The normal, recommended height for lathes is so that the spindle is at elbow height. Lots of lathers actually like it a little higher than that! Something to do with bifocals and/or back problems. And don't forget to take into account the stuff you have on the floor to protect your feet. If you use anti-fatigue mats (I use a double thickness of them!), that's another inch or so that you have to take into account.

Yes, whacking a sheet of plywood with your stilted SS is not cool, but doing small work that high up in the air is actually quite pleasant. I can see and control it easily. It's a little awkward for some stuff, but not enough to make it dangerous for me or enough to make me repent of my stilts! ;)

Something that so many of us forget. Tools were designed to be modified to fit the user! Tools were never a "one-size-fits-all" proposition.
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander